Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Family Loans
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John.St
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2012 :  12:39:39  Show Profile  Visit John.St's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My parents took a loan out in their name a few years before I was made bankrupt, and I was making the repayments to them up until the point of bankruptcy. I didn't mention this to the OR (probably should have done), but haven't made any payments during the bankruptcy period. Having been discharged am I able to make payments now or would that break any rules?

Also, the OR has now noticed the payments and wants to know what they are for. What are the repercussions of telling them now?

Will they want to see my parents bank statements etc or need something in writing from them? Will I face any penalty for not disclosing before now?

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2012 :  12:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

Don't worry, lots of people forget to include family debt and some don't even know you can include them in bankruptcy so you have done nothing wrong.

Just explain everything to the OR, they may want to see some paperwork from you.

After you are discharged and if you haven't got an IPA, then although, technically the debt has been written off, you can do whatever you want with your money.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2012 :  12:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

Just explain what has happened to the OR.

The debt would've been included in your bankruptcy, and as you havent paid anything back (which would've been preferential treatment), it would appear that you haven't done anything wrong.

The only thing you've probably missed out on, is your parents being able to claim from your estate for the debt due.

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Professional advice should always be sought.
Go to Top of Page

John.St
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2012 :  12:53:12  Show Profile  Visit John.St's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick answers guys - didn't really want the parents dragging into it as they are now retired and will stress like mad but if it cant be helped I guess I'll have to.

Go to Top of Page

John.St
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2012 :  13:02:44  Show Profile  Visit John.St's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry another question - should i mention that I have made payments since the discharge or not? The letter I have received asked if I have made payments since the bankruptcy so slightly ambiguous.
Out of interest if I had made payments before the discharge presumably they would reclaim these from my parents?

Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2012 :  13:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the date of bankruptcy up until your discharge, my understanding is you shouldn't make any payments.

Personally, I think its best to be upfront an honest.

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Professional advice should always be sought.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page