Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 My wife was made bankrupt in July 2010. We are thinking of selling jointly owned property.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeepthang
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2012 :  16:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there
My wife was made bankrupt in July 2010.
We own a joint property but there was little equity in the property as part of the investigations and it remains jointly owned by us. My wife was discharged from bankruptcy in July 2011. We are now thinking of selling the property as there now appears to be approx £40k worth of equity (once all the fees have been paid).
My question is: Can my wifes Trustee in Bankrupty still grab her half of the sale proceeds or whether that "right" has now expired. If it has not expired, when will it? Is this the 3 year rule?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2012 :  18:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Is this the family home?

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

Jeepthang
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2012 :  18:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2012 :  18:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you buy back the beneficial interest? I presume not, then the OR has 3 years to deal with it.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

Jeepthang
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2012 :  18:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I applied to buy back the beneficial interest but was advised that the rules had changed and that it was not possible to do so. Is this correct? Did the rules change?
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2012 :  18:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can no longer buy back the BI for £1 if in negative equity, but they are open to offers. Usually £1000 plus fees.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2012 :  18:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not the rules but the OR's own guidance, the rules are and always have been (since 2004) that the OR can hold the interest in the property for up to 3 years, so if you have not bought it back yet then it remains with the OR
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2012 :  18:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeepthang, as a side note can you think if any reason why there was no equity 2 years ago but there is £40K equity now, it does seem a liitle odd
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2012 :  20:33:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add, the OR would normally look at a property that they have interest in, at the 2 year and 3 month mark.

They will also have a restriction registered with Land Registry.

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Professional advice should always be sought.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepthang
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 18 July 2012 :  09:16:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re DebtInfo's question, I had a massive penalty clause in the mortgage a couple of years ago (approx £20,000) in connection with any early redemption.

Is it worth contacting the OR now and see if they would reconsider my offer to buy the beneficial interest or is it highly likely they will probably contact me a at the 2 year and 3 month mark i.e. October 2012?
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 18 July 2012 :  09:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In short, the OR is likely to want your wifes share of anything that would be realised.
You could ask to buy out her BI, and you would need the OR's permission to sell anyway.

--------------
Views expressed are my own personal views, based on what has happened during my own BR process unless otherwise stated.
Go to Top of Page

Jeepthang
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 18 July 2012 :  10:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that correct? Before I put the house on the market or take any subsequent offers, I would have to ask for the OR's permission to sell?
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 18 July 2012 :  10:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you didn't initially buy out the BI in your property, the OR should've placed a restriction with the land registry.

Do you remember if this was done?

--------------
Go to Top of Page

Jeepthang
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 18 July 2012 :  10:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The OR has placed a restriction on her half of the equity but I presumed that they would just automatically take their half (from my solicitors) when the property was sold rather then me having to ask their permission to sell.

I guess the best solution is not to put the house on the market until after their restiction has expired and hope they don't pick up that the restriction is in place.
Go to Top of Page

year 2029
Average Member

590 Posts

Posted - 18 July 2012 :  11:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe permission was the wrong way for me to have worded it.
The restriction is there so a sale can't go ahead without the OR being informed.

--------------
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page