Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Co-op stopping bank accounts for bankrupts.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2012 :  10:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/4539623/Co-op-bank-account-OK-for-crims-but-bans-bankrupts.html

Not good - I think it's a total disgrace that they're doing this.

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2012 :  13:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crikey! That's awful. I recommend that account to all my clients.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2012 :  13:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not after September 17th Viki.

Existing customers will be fine and I assume that once you are discharged they will be happy to open an account.

I would think that if you can open one before you BR you'd be ok.

I wonder how long it will be before Barclays do the same?
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2012 :  15:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always ask my clients to open the account before court so hopefully the Co-op will not close the account after the bankruptcy order has been made.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2012 :  15:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does say on the website that existing customers will be ok.

Let's hope they don't put a question on the application asking if you are shortly to be made bankrupt, that would put the cat amongst the pigeons!
Go to Top of Page

MoneyFool
Starting Member

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2012 :  18:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doh! Was going to open one soon before I go BR. Better check Barclays out! That said, I currently bank with NatWest, and they are not a creditor, I have a regular account with them but no overdraft or anything. Was going to risk it but I understand the OR may just close it down or NatWest will when they hear of my BR.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 15 September 2012 :  19:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no reason why you can't try and open one before you go bankrupt - they can only say no.

The Barclays basic one isn't as good and you're not allowed online or telephone banking until you are discharged.
Go to Top of Page

terry d
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 17 September 2012 :  06:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i with the co-op hopefully ill be ok i was with santander but they were a creditor then went with HSBC who sent me a nasty account closed letter last week,i generally think the co-op is the best bank ive ever been with

BANKRUPT 1ST AUGUST 2012
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 17 September 2012 :  08:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be ok as they are keeping existing accounts open, they're just not opening new ones.

Not surprised that HSBC did that though, they're well known for trawling the register and closing down accounts.
Go to Top of Page

pcoventry

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2012 :  23:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pooed myself then!. I thought I was going to have to go get my money. I could actually do without a bank account and just get my money put into cashable things. Hmm I need to think about this. I know existing customers are OK they say but i still wouldn't trust them to just pull the plug on existing accountys.

I still havea n account with Barclays but it's £0 because they remove online banking because (apparently you can apply for £250 OD through it) But even though I've never had such option they removed it. Kinda pointless!
Go to Top of Page

Gary.3
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2012 :  07:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Gary.3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Niobe

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/4539623/Co-op-bank-account-OK-for-crims-but-bans-bankrupts.html

Not good - I think it's a total disgrace that they're doing this.

Personally I think what is more of a disgrace is that apart from Barclays none of the other high street banks offer accounts to bankrupts. And this is despite the taxpayer throwing in massive amounts of money to support THEIR reckless decisions particularly RBS and HBOS (as was).

Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2012 :  07:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I rather think this is the slippery slope towards the ending of all basic bank accounts. The banks don't really like them as they're making no money from them.

Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2012 :  11:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I have had a basic bank account with the co-op since my bankruptcy in early 2009. I would love them to give me a normal current account now I have been discharged since 2010 but I don't think they would entertain it until the bankruptcy falls off my credit record in 2015. To say they don't make money on basic accounts is slightly wrong as I have been charged £15 on numerous occasions because direct debits have gone out when there has not been enough money in my account to cover them. They have threatened me with cancelling my account but as yet, they haven't done so.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

pcoventry

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2012 :  13:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xmas baby

Hi there,

I have had a basic bank account with the co-op since my bankruptcy in early 2009. I would love them to give me a normal current account now I have been discharged since 2010 but I don't think they would entertain it until the bankruptcy falls off my credit record in 2015. To say they don't make money on basic accounts is slightly wrong as I have been charged £15 on numerous occasions because direct debits have gone out when there has not been enough money in my account to cover them. They have threatened me with cancelling my account but as yet, they haven't done so.

xmas baby

I dont see why they wouldnt you've been debt free for years I think they would like that. Worth a try!

I am not sure I should stay with co-op? After all they are only accomodating existing customers because they have to -= as soon as they find that loophole im sure they will chop us.

I do miss my Barclays online banking as it was instant. This waiting 3 days for it to updat on co-op is annoying (even at the cashpoint now)

I had natwest open and close down a proper top rate current account when they found out I owed oney to RBS, I had no idea they were linked.

I've been looking all night for someone new and I found cashplus. It's that pre paid card thing but they also do various things like free dd's and standing orders, internet banking and one off payments. They give you a mastercard and they also have a credit builder system which seems to get high reviews.

They also have a facility where you can basically get £1000 overdraft if you need it and if you can't meet bills they pay them. they are on 700% APR so not sure that's a good idea BUT as a BR can we apply for that?

I know the rules are you can't have more than £500 credit without saying your BR> but they dont credit check.. I rang them , they said it was okay but would the OR allow that?

If not ill be getting all my benefits either via cash from the council office machines or by giro at this rate. :(

Edited by - pcoventry on 19 September 2012 13:52:51
Go to Top of Page

pcoventry

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2012 :  14:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This comes up on that sun article

http://www.eccount.com/

But i wouldn't trust someone ive never heard of. Based on the fact i used them 4-5 years ago and they are still around id use these.

http://www.mycashplus.co.uk/offers/cashplus/tabs/bkt.aspx?pc=GAW600C094CTRL&apskw=bank%20account&apsad=12893444549&apsds=S&apspl=&apsmt=p&gclid=CPq8vv-VwLICFYYTfAodwBAAEQ

The £1000 overdraft thing is a loan so not sure if the OR would allow it but it is ooptional as is the credit builder which is pointless taking till after BR is over or is that wrong?
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2012 :  15:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll rephrase it then - they don't make a lot of money from you, no overdraft charges, and, provided you stay in credit they make nothing else. I've never paid any charges on my Nationwide account since I had it.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a paid for account unless I absolutely had no other option and I'm afraid at 700% they could stick the overdraft option. Cost you a fortune if you can't pay it back.

As an undischarged bankrupt you may have problems but you'd need to check with the OR.

Benefits, pension etc can get paid into a post office account - that's where my hubby has his pension paid into.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page