Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 I am desperate to move. Worried that credit and references will not be cleared
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 12 November 2013 :  13:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there,

I used this forum before i decided to declare myself bankrupt in 2009 and found it immensely helpful and informative. I wonder if anyone could help with this query too?
Since being discharged from bankruptcy in February 2010 I then needed to rent another flat and i was surprised that i was accepted by a well known letting agent without the need for a guarantor even though my credit check would have shown my bankruptcy history. I don't know whether good work and landlord references helped, but i was so relieved when i was accepted without any bother at all. Since being in my current flat for the past 2 years i now need to move because of noisy neigbour who is making my life an absolute nightmare. I have very good relationship with my current landlord and they sympathise with my dilemma. I have seen another property and have paid the admin fees to reserve the property until the credit and references has been checked and cleared. What i am worried about is that they might refuse because of my past bankruptcy even though my current letting agent didnt find it a problem. I am so worried that i will never be able to move out of this nightmare flat if that is the case and i get rejected each time. I am in good employment and have been working here for 28 years. I am on a good wage and i have no debts whatsoever. Does anyone have any other experiences on this that they can maybe encourage me with? I do have the back up of a guarantor if the worst comes to the worst although there is no guarantee that the letting agent will accect guarantors, is there?

Hope someone can help. I am so desperate to move now as i am at the end of my wits and will have a nervous breakdown if i have to put up with the neighbour for much longer.

Thank you

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 12 November 2013 :  13:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and nice to see you again.

Hopefully your credit record will be ok now, even though the BR will still be on there.

You can get your current landlord to give you a reference stating that your rent has always been paid on time.

You may need to put up a deposit or get a guarantor and if you get a decent landlord this may be enough.

As regards your current neighbour - have you complained to the police about them? You could think about getting an ASBO in place. Have you spoken to other neighbours to see if they are having problems with them and are willing to support you?

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. – Ulysses S. Grant

Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 12 November 2013 :  16:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Niobe, and thank you for your reply. i havent yet involved the police or council as i don't think it will actually get me anywhere to be honest. The neighbour suffers from psychosis so no amount of being told not to do it by police or anyone else is really going to stop her i think. It is just so unfair as we are really good tenants and have a great relationship with our landlord who even said they would provide us with legal representation if we wanted to pursue it, which is really good of them. We just don't want to fight anymore as we have been ground down for the past 18 months and have had enough. We just want a quiet life really. I know my credit rating will still be pretty bad even 4 years after bankruptcy so not expecting anything else and even when it drops off after 6 years, i fear bankruptcy will always be a bit of a noose around my neck as you have to declare it on forms if they ask 'have you ever been bankrupt'. I am lucky that if they need it, my sister has said she will be a guarantor, but it still annoys me that they ask for that just because of my bankruptcy. I've never had any CCJ's or anything like that for rent arrears and always paid my rent on time and even before the due date on some occasions. I guess i will just have to wait and see what happens. I am just worried that all the letting agents will be the same and could reject me and the prospect of not being able to move from this hell hole would be worse than prison itself.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 12 November 2013 :  17:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has your landlord got any other properties that you could move into?

Have you cleaned up your credit file for any defaults entered after the date of BR.

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. – Ulysses S. Grant

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page