Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Hi, I was declared bankrupt last October and have been told to leave my rented property
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steven.w
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2016 :  16:15:26  Show Profile  Visit Steven.w's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, I was declared bankrupt last October and have just been told I have to leave my rented property. I am worried about my credit rating to gain a new rental property so wanted to know if there was any way I can start to rebuild some sort of credit rating by getting a credit card etc. Are there credit card companies that will accept me? or have you any other suggestions. Regards, Steve

pcoventry2

230 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2016 :  16:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Firstly as a landlord unless you have major arrears I am not sure why you would be told that.

Also don't leave of your own free will, let them serve a section 21 notice on you. Because A. If you surrender the property then you leave yourself wide open to not getting anywhere and B. The law states you must be given 2 months and 1 day and this gives you some room to breath and find somewhere else.

When I went BR after 6 months I got a vanquis card. If you spend like £5 a month on it and pay it back before the due date you don't pay interest and you get a green tick on your file every month.

I did this for 3 years and got the 3500 limit. My credit rating is now over 800 on all 4 agencys and my banckruptcy won't fall off my file until May 18

Hope this helps.,
Go to Top of Page

Steven.w
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2016 :  00:12:46  Show Profile  Visit Steven.w's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, sorry that was a misunderstanding. The bankruptcy had nothing to do with us being given notice to leave the house and we have actually been given 3 months notice. Our current landlord is moving back into the property. My worry is that it will be difficult to find somewhere new to rent with a bad credit record because of the bankruptcy and I am trying to find ways to improve my credit rating. I have checked the Vanquis website and they state they will only consider discharged bankrupts not current. Are there any other options? I will only be using the crdit card to boost my credit rating not for general use so even a limit of £50 would be a start but I cant find anything online.

Firstly as a landlord unless you have major arrears I am not sure why you would be told that.

Also don't leave of your own free will, let them serve a section 21 notice on you. Because A. If you surrender the property then you leave yourself wide open to not getting anywhere and B. The law states you must be given 2 months and 1 day and this gives you some room to breath and find somewhere else.

When I went BR after 6 months I got a vanquis card. If you spend like £5 a month on it and pay it back before the due date you don't pay interest and you get a green tick on your file every month.

I did this for 3 years and got the 3500 limit. My credit rating is now over 800 on all 4 agencys and my banckruptcy won't fall off my file until May 18

Hope this helps.,
[/quote]

Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2016 :  00:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Try and rent privately - get a reference from your previous landlord to say that you have paid your rent with no problems.

Some landlords don't do a credit check so you might be ok. If there is a problem, is there someone who could act as guarantor for you if necessary?

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. – Ulysses S. Grant

Go to Top of Page

Steven.w
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2016 :  00:01:59  Show Profile  Visit Steven.w's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice. Are there 'any' credit cards I can apply for while I am still bankrupt or do I have to wait until I am discharged?

Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2016 :  04:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will need to wait until discharge unfortunately.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy or debt relief order applications, please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page