Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for july
 My Allowances - do they seem ok?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 10 July 2008 :  14:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im filing for bankruptcy on the 15th August and am just completing my expenditure form. I have listed them below... these are the household expenditures... have basically listed everything (basically if I don't list it I can't do so at a later date). I have done this on an excel spreadsheet to make things easier but on the forms I will only be putting down the total household amounts.

Me Partner Total
Mortgage/Rent 400.00 600.00 1000.00
Housekeeping/Pet costs 200.00 200.00 400.00
Gas/Electricity 48.00 48.00 96.00
Water 14.00 14.00 28.00
Telephone - Mobile Only 37.00 50.00 87.00
Travel 200.00 160.00 360.00
Clothing 40.00 40.00 80.00
Council Tax 55.00 56.00 111.00
Contents Insurance 7.00 7.00 14.00
Car Breakdown 7.00 0.00 7.00
Parking Permit 3.00 0.00 3.00
Car Tax 15.00 17.00 32.00
Car MOT 10.00 10.00 20.00
Car Insurance 25.00 44.00 69.00
Car Maintenance/Services30.00 20.00 50.00
Contact Lenses/Glasses 23.00 19.00 42.00
Dentist 10.00 10.00 20.00
Prescriptions 14.00 10.00 24.00
TV Licence 6.00 6.00 12.00
Haircuts 10.00 0.00 10.00
Holidays 20.00 20.00 40.00
Newspapers 8.00 0.00 8.00
Swimming 10.00 0.00 10.00

Total 1192.00 1331.00 2523.00

My partner gives me £1330 a month, I get paid £1388 a month which leaves £196 disposable income. My partner is paid £1500 a month. Does this seem ok?

Maizie

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 10 July 2008 :  14:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies if the above seems a mess... it wasn't like this when I typed it!!!

Maizie
Go to Top of Page

Suzanne
Average Member

United Kingdom
869 Posts

Posted - 10 July 2008 :  16:21:05  Show Profile  Visit Suzanne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maizie

I think they will trim your clothing down to £50, but leave and see what they say.
Your prescription costs are very high and I don't think they will allow this, as apparently you can buy an Annual Prescription Certificate for a set fee, but you never know
They may not allow newspapers, but everything else is OK.

Suzanne Stocker
Bankruptcy Manager
Jones Giles Ltd
www.jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Ian Richards

United Kingdom
296 Posts

Posted - 10 July 2008 :  16:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of it still seems a bit steep to me though, i'll have a look at your other posts to get a background of your situation.
Go to Top of Page

toon army

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 10 July 2008 :  16:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must agree. The OR informed us that anything like activities, newspapers have to come out of the disposable income. I must admit the OR was very fair with us and very reasonable.
Go to Top of Page

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 10 July 2008 :  16:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which parts seem high because the utilities etc. are exactly half of the actual bill.

I was unaware of the prescription certificate.. I have only just gone onto anxiety tablets so at the moment.. well past two months that is what I have paid out on them.

Maizie
Go to Top of Page

Ian Richards

United Kingdom
296 Posts

Posted - 10 July 2008 :  17:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Maizie

Without knowing your full situation its hard to put it into detail. Your utility bills are your utility bills and you cant do anything about that, but if you can give me 15 mins (if my phone stops ringing) i'll get back to you.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Richards

United Kingdom
296 Posts

Posted - 10 July 2008 :  17:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again

Are your outgoings the first set on the sheet or the second set?
What do you do for a living?

How many of you living in the household? Are there any children?

Unless you are self employed or you can give a real good reason why you need to have a mobile phone i wouldnt put it in, as one of them is £37pm and the other is £50pm and if the OR doesnt allow it you will possibly increase your IPA payments. I also wouldnt put in Newspapers or Swimming unless you have a child that you take swimming. I feel that prescriptions are ok as long as you can prove what they are for if asked.
Go to Top of Page

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 11 July 2008 :  09:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Loads

Im an Office Manager. My outgoings are the first set, the second set are my partners (he isn't going bankrupt and its what he contributes to the household). I have put mobile down as we don't have a house phone and £37 is my monthly rental... have 12 months left on my contract. So should I just put mine down and not his? It's just me and my partner.. no children. With regard to my prescriptions, well all my doctors notes will state what tablets I am on and what for.

Maizie
Go to Top of Page

Ian Richards

United Kingdom
296 Posts

Posted - 11 July 2008 :  09:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again Maizie

Yes i would definitely take out his mobile phone, there is no point. Your housekeeping costs are a little heavy i feel £400 for two people????
You will obviously take the pet costs away from that which should be about £20pm on average, which leaves you £380 and that’s still a bit heavy for two of you! £280/£300pm would be far more acceptable.

Does your partner contribute all of his wages to the household, or does he keep some for himself?
Go to Top of Page

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 11 July 2008 :  09:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is only on £1500 a month so he contributes most of it... including £200 more towards the mortgage!!

£75 a week on food, all household cleaning products etc... basically anything to do with the household! For two people?! That seems really really low considering the way prices are at the moment! Am I not allowed pet costs?

Maizie
Go to Top of Page

Suzanne
Average Member

United Kingdom
869 Posts

Posted - 11 July 2008 :  09:33:57  Show Profile  Visit Suzanne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi maize

Check this website for the prescription certificate.

www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/ppc_intro.htm

I would leave the expenses as they are, the examiner can question them as they review the SOA with you, and you have an opportunity to fight your corner if you want to at the time. You never know you may get an examiner that does not think these are too much as that is what they pay themselves.

Suzanne Stocker
Bankruptcy Manager
Jones Giles Ltd
www.jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 11 July 2008 :  09:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats great Suzanne. Thanks for all your help!

Will look at the website!

Maizie
Go to Top of Page

Ian Richards

United Kingdom
296 Posts

Posted - 11 July 2008 :  09:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you are allowed pet costs that are why i took off the £20 from your amount. Remember you are going Bankrupt and you are not really expected to have a life while in Bankruptcy!
However, surely your partner has his own outgoings every week to take care of? Does he not have any hobbies that he commits too or does he go out with his friends every week for a few drinks? After all, your debt isn’t his problem really is it??
Go to Top of Page

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 11 July 2008 :  09:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not expected to have a life in Bankruptcy? I didn't have a life in the IVA as in no money for opticians/dentist so I had no contingency whatsoever etc hence the reason for going bankrupt plus my costs have gone up. I thought bankruptcy for most people gave them a fresh start! Ive tried my hardest to pay my creditors back with the IVA and succeeded for a year but things have changed in my life through no fault of my own and they wouldn't accept the reduction in costs.

Yes he does have a life and I really don't understand what you mean by saying my debt isn't his problem... I never said it was. I don't understand the point you are making and to be honest with you Im getting a bit upset. Thats the trouble with email/typed messages, sometimes they don't come across as they are intended to.

Maizie
Go to Top of Page

Suzanne
Average Member

United Kingdom
869 Posts

Posted - 11 July 2008 :  09:57:17  Show Profile  Visit Suzanne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maizie

I think you are doing fine, just go with what you do spend and wait and see what the OR has to say about it. I think the danger is that we all over analyse situations until we panic ourselves - i'm guilty of that one!
Deep breath, count to 10, and all that. Just remember that the examiners all have lives too, they probably even have debts. They certainly have problems of their own, we all do, we're human.

Suzanne Stocker
Bankruptcy Manager
Jones Giles Ltd
www.jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page