Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for july
 Do you think I have a case in asking to keep car?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hmtaylor

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2008 :  08:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just gone bk last week. my 1st telephone call from OR resulted in me being told my car would most probably be taken as an asset. (worth only £1000). I do not work but my car is vital as I have to drive my kids to school. We live in the country side with a very retricted bus service. The school is 2 miles away, up hill, and I have a 6 year old and a toddler. I would be unable to take my kids to school either by walking or by bus and then get into our local town to pre-school. I am asmatic and would be affected by the amount of walking I would be forced to do. Do you think I have a case in asking to keep my car?

helen

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2008 :  09:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi helen

I expect you may have already explained to the examiner your concerns over losing your car. Whether you have or not I would pen a very polite letter giving all the detail as to why losing it would be a problem to you and post it in asap.
Often BK's are warned by examiner's this may happen and it's not unknown for a vehicle of similar value to be taken.
However, if you were to obtain a bus timetable and perhaps, if you have it, some evidence of your asthma then I would be surprised if this information was ignored.
Go to Top of Page

melanie_giles

1191 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2008 :  23:16:47  Show Profile  Visit melanie_giles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would go as far as to get your doctor to write a letter to the OR if they insist on taking your car. This is really not fair, and by the time they have paid agents to collect it, the sale proceeds will be negligible.

For an informal chat about any financial difficulties, or advice as to the options available, I can be contacted via my website - www.melaniegiles.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzanne
Average Member

United Kingdom
869 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2008 :  08:52:52  Show Profile  Visit Suzanne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi

Good advice. It would do you no harm to state your case to the examiner and ask for the vehicle to be exempt from your bankruptcy as it is not a luxury for you to have a car, but a necessity. You have a job to do (looking after your children) and you need the car in order to do it.

Suzanne Stocker
Bankruptcy Manager
Jones Giles Ltd
www.jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2008 :  11:23:57  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great advice all!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk

Edited by - JulianDonnelly on 14 July 2008 16:56:54
Go to Top of Page

dave092

United Kingdom
176 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2008 :  15:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds to me that your car is a necessity. I think you should be OK. But, as said before, put it in writing. All the best and good luck!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page