Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for july
 How much money will the OR take from me?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jayne1984

176 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2008 :  16:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have recently been declared bankrupt with £35,000 worth of debt after closing down my business.

I was self employed for 4 years and in that time had no wages. As I have closed down the business I am unemployed (although I am actively looking for work).

Currently I have no income (I am not entitled to Job Seekers Allowance) and I do not own my own property or have any dependants. I have a class 2 NI exemption certificate – which means I was not earning enough to pay any NI which means I don’t qualify for Contributions based JSA and I live with my partner and his wages are put us over the threshold of qualifying for Income based JSA.

My monthly out goings are £613.20. What will the OR do about taking money from me now? or when I get a job? I have estimated my earnings at about 13,500 yearly before tax which works out at about £900 a month after tax which would leave £287 disposable income.

I have had no contact from the OR yet … how can I estimate how long I’ll be bankrupt for?

Regards Jayne

Suzanne
Average Member

United Kingdom
869 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2008 :  16:28:16  Show Profile  Visit Suzanne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jayne

If you have no job you have no income and so you cannot pay an IPA. If you get a job before you are discharged you should notify the OR and they will look at your income and expenditure again.

In the mean time you are unable to pay anything. When the OR contacts you they will send you a booklet to fill in where you are asked to provide details of your income and expenditure. They will then go through this with you at interview.

They will take no money from you if you are not earning any.

Suzanne Stocker
Bankruptcy Manager
Jones Giles Ltd
www.jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

jayne1984

176 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2008 :  16:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply. If my income was £900 per month with outgoings of £600 how much do you think they are likly to take from me?

thanks jayne
Go to Top of Page

Suzanne
Average Member

United Kingdom
869 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2008 :  16:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Suzanne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Probably about £150 per month. It is based on 50-70% of surplus. Make sure you include all your expenses such as dental, optician, holiday, maintenance, insurances etc.

Suzanne Stocker
Bankruptcy Manager
Jones Giles Ltd
www.jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

jayne1984

176 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2008 :  16:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the reply. are there any guide lines as to what your monthly expenses could be?

thanks
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2008 :  16:46:55  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jayne,

I agree with Suzanne. The key is when filling out your SOA not to forget anything ... it may sound silly, but you'll be amazed how many people forget about some of their outgoings!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

jayne1984

176 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2008 :  16:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks is there a guideline or a list of accepted expenses and amounts that are deemed reasonable? thanks
Go to Top of Page

Suzanne
Average Member

United Kingdom
869 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2008 :  16:50:51  Show Profile  Visit Suzanne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It would be best not to rely on guidelines but to actually put down what you spend. Go through your bank accounts checking for direct debits etc.

Suzanne Stocker
Bankruptcy Manager
Jones Giles Ltd
www.jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 14 July 2008 :  16:52:11  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jayne,

Unfortunately not. Otherwise, the Insolvency Service will be swamped with lots of people who (strangely enough) have exactly the same monthly outgoings. The key here is to be open and honest, because if you tell the OR you can eat for £20 a month, that's exactly what they'll expect you to do!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page