Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for july
 self assessment & tax during Bankruptcy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

antp

United Kingdom
216 Posts

Posted - 18 July 2008 :  23:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello,
i've found a few references on the web to this but nothing clear cut and simple to understand.

I was declared insolvent in May 2008, i am self employed and still trading, I understand (i think) that the OR deals with the tax affairs during my bankruptcy, or at least finds out from HMRC details of past tax affairs etc. My questions are:

1) If i was made BR in May 2008, the current year for self employment would be 2007/2008 or would it be 2008/2009 (this year)?

2) when and how would I be expected to complete a tax return, would this be forwarded to the OR or HMRC?(i ask this as i am now locked out of the self assessment online website for the purposes of filling it in although I can log in easily enough)

3) if the 2007/2008 tax self assessment is due anytime up to 31/01/2009 (as I haven't done it yet) would it be in my interests to get it done quickly in the interests of possible early discharge?

thanks in advance.

melanie_giles

1191 Posts

Posted - 19 July 2008 :  11:20:51  Show Profile  Visit melanie_giles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The current fiscal year is 2008/2009. During this year the tax due on your earnings is payable to the OR for the benefit of your creditors rather than to HMRC. The early filing of your tax return will have no effect on you being granted early discharge.

For an informal chat about any financial difficulties, or advice as to the options available, I can be contacted via my website - www.melaniegiles.com

Edited by - melanie_giles on 19 July 2008 11:21:22
Go to Top of Page

Porcorosso

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2008 :  10:55:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HMRC give Self Assessment taxpayers 9 months from the end of the tax year to file their return ie. by the 31 January of the following year. You can file your return as soon as HMRC issue them; typically in late April early May after the end of the tax year. So your 'current' tax return will relate to the 2007/2008 tax year. This is about you before you went BR. The 2008/2009 tax return will be the one that relates to our period of BR, and probably part of the 2009/2010 as well as your period of BR might run into the next tax year. I was told to complete my tax returns as normal.

Not the best time to be self employed!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page