Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for august
 bank account
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jim_h

United Kingdom
219 Posts

Posted - 04 August 2008 :  17:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am thinking of going br we have a joint bank account can i take my name of the account as my wages could still be paid in and my direct debits kept as they are my wife is not going br

Edited by - jim_h on 04 August 2008 17:47:45

Suzanne
Average Member

United Kingdom
869 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2008 :  08:43:48  Show Profile  Visit Suzanne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi jim

The bank will not freeze a joint account, but the OR will still want to see the statement up to and including the date of the bankruptcy order.

You can take your name off if you wish, but it would not be necessary if the only reason was to prevent the bank freezing the account.

Suzanne Stocker
Bankruptcy Manager
Jones Giles Ltd
www.jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

rollercoaster

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2008 :  09:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our coop cashminder is joint and all of our money goes in and comes out of that. both my husband and i are declaring BR on Friday, will they freeze this account? or do they only not freeze joint accounts if 1 party is NOT BR??
Go to Top of Page

Suzanne
Average Member

United Kingdom
869 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2008 :  10:16:51  Show Profile  Visit Suzanne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi rollercoaster

This will depend on the bank. In general they do not freeze joint accounts, but this is no guarantee as you are both petitioning.

Even if it is frozen, you can get it released fairly quickly by providing the OR with a copy of the statement up to and including the date of the order. You can get this directly from the branch and get them to fax it to the OR.

Suzanne Stocker
Bankruptcy Manager
Jones Giles Ltd
www.jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

rollercoaster

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2008 :  10:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

sue08

United Kingdom
176 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2008 :  15:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add to this, i have a joint account with halifax and i got my name taken off but it did not get took off before they found out about my bankrutcy. I left everything running in the account (its just a bills/mortgage account) including money in and direct debits out as i thought it would be ok but they still froze it. OR has said there not interested in the account and faxed halifax for me but they still haven't unfroze it. She told me others have had the same problem with this bank and there a pain to sort it out with. All bills are bouncing and i've had to get in touch with all of them about payment cards to pay with at payzones until my new bank account is set up (co-op). I'm sure not all banks are like this though but just be aware. I've got all our money for all this months bills trapped in there now and not sure when we'll get it back. Hope this helps someone xx
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2008 :  16:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sue
Just read your post. I hope you get it sorted out soon. We opened a new account after our bankruptcy on monday and now all our monies and Dd's are coming out of there.
I did not feel like fighting with the banks and after reading some of the info you get that say its better to get sorted before your made BR that is what we did.
I had my benefits paid by giro,some put on hold and hubbies wages changed same day BR was done.
I hope that it gets released to you.
Take care let us know how you get on.
JO

"Lifes too short, Grab it while you can, Make each day count and live life to the full. Dont Worry- Be Happy!"

Go to Top of Page

366 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2008 :  11:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have posted on here before regarding my inability to get a co-op account, after many letters and phonecalls, i now know the reason why - it is because of something on my credit file that happened at one of the addresses i put down.

i do not know what it is, but i never actually lived at this address, through instruction of my financial adviser I put this address down so that my creditors would write to that address instead of mine - so i didnt get bothered with the letters and phonecalls - but now it has come to bite me in the a**e - is there anything i can do - as i did not technically live at this address....

I will not be able to get a bank account with this on my credit file...
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2008 :  13:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I assume you have a copy of your credit report from one of the referencing agencies (Equifax ; Experian etc) to have established this. If not you should google either one and order one on line or by post.

You should then return a copy of the report to the agency with an accompanying letter explaining that you had never actually lived there but had been advised to use the address by a 3rd party and would therefore request the entry be removed from your report.

This process is free (the report itself will cost £2 by letter, more on line) and if successful will repair your report.
This is called "Disassociation"

www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

366 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2008 :  13:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much John, I am in the process of getting my credit report - just trying to find someone with a cheque book to help me out!

Hopefully I can get this sorted out.

If it stays on my credit report though....how long will it be before i can get an account, how far back do they check when looking at your application for an account is it like a year or 5 years.....just dont want to not be able to get an account for the next 5 years or so......

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

366 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2008 :  15:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

Do you mean write to Experian and tell them that I know there is something on my report that is wrong?

Or when I get my report to send that, along with an explanation letter to the Co-op bank?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2008 :  15:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
anyone can apply for their report you don't have to give an explanation.

And you write back to the same agency that provided the report, indicating which entry you want to be disassociated from and explain why.

www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page