Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for august
 A question about my house
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluey875

190 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2008 :  08:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was declared BR just over two weeks ago and i'm yet to hear from the OR,i have spoken to them and there is a backlog so no need to panic but last night i got a call from NR asking what i wanted to do about my house ( we moved into rented just before the BR) according to them it ISNT covered by the BR!!! they say that i must either surrender the house to them or they will reposses it in a few months time. how can this be,i thought with BR it covered all debts,NR say its only the unsecured stuff.i moved out as i was under the impression the house would be seized as there is equity in it and quite frankly we didnt want the place anymore.
is this right what they say and what should i do?

chris.g

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2008 :  08:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly the house IS COVERED by the br and any shortfall WILL be absorbed by it...If NR call again, inform them politely that they will need to contact the OR dealing with your br as the house is an asset and has been claimed in the br. You will have to give them your br number and address etc of the OR but they can not and should not be harrassing you like this.
Contact the OR today and tell them what has happened and request that they contact NR to try prevent this happening again. I email my OR/RTLU, that way I have written confirmation what has been said.
Hope this helps, xx

Those who judge us the most, know us the least....
Go to Top of Page

chris.g

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2008 :  08:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, just incase you haven't already, ring your local council and inform them that you are br and you no longer live at the address, they will put a class q on the house so you are no longer liable for the C/Tax.

Edited by - chris.g on 07 August 2008 09:00:12
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2008 :  11:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
this is the 3rd case this week I have come across where Northern Rock claim you would be liable for any shortfall in BR.
I don't know if it's a deliberate scare tactic or that their staff are just ill informed but you will NOT be held liable in BR.

www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

bluey875

190 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2008 :  13:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris.g

Firstly the house IS COVERED by the br and any shortfall WILL be absorbed by it...If NR call again, inform them politely that they will need to contact the OR dealing with your br as the house is an asset and has been claimed in the br. You will have to give them your br number and address etc of the OR but they can not and should not be harrassing you like this.
Contact the OR today and tell them what has happened and request that they contact NR to try prevent this happening again. I email my OR/RTLU, that way I have written confirmation what has been said.
Hope this helps, xx

it does help thanks,but it also goes to show that NR staff are either A ill informed which is worrying or B playing the scare tactic deliberatly which is very worrying.
i told them to contact the OR and they said that the OR had already been in touch which was why they were ringing me to sort it out.
NR said they will ring me back in a weeks time,they say to give me time to think about my next move, i shall give them a polite brush off when they call back methinks.
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2008 :  14:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
next time they call, and as they claim to have spoken to the OR, tell them that you are fully conversant with (and I quote) " Section 40 of The Administration of Justice Act 1970, and that you want the caller's name as under this act his continued harassment is a criminal offence which you will be reporting to both the OR and the Police." That usually does the trick, and it applies here.

www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page