Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for august
 a bank that will allow a new account for br ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jon c

170 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2008 :  22:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister,was confirmed bankrupt, her bank initially informed her that she could continue using her account, she then recived a letter statement that they were closing her account, can she open a new account and waht sort of difficulties will she have in opening another account to pay her mortagage and other direct debits,she is in full time employment, and is in reciept of child and working tax credits. she appreciate that her new account would be a basic account, with no frills, but an account to be able to have access to her money, and pay by direct debit, and can you suggest a bank that will allow her to open a new account.

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2008 :  22:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
try Barclays, Abbey and Co-op cashminder first.

www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

rollercoaster

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2008 :  09:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
co op is brill. direct debits, standing orders, online banking and an electron card. i am keeping mine forever!
Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2008 :  09:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi RC,

Can I just ask did you get your co-op account before or after BR? If before, has it been frozen? I'm asking cos we have our accounts open and aren't due to go BR for another month yet. We were told that 'hopefully' they wouldn't get frozen. Just wondering what others have found.

Thanks,

CG. x
Go to Top of Page

rollercoaster

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2008 :  12:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had the co op account for over 7 months, went BR last friday. We asked the OR if we could keep it, he informed the co op he had no interest in the account and this morning i rang co op and asked if we could keep it, they said yes.
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2008 :  13:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi just adding to this we went BR last monday and opened our Cashiminder account over the phone that day and have started to receive the cards etc.
They confirmed all my details and said they were happy, I told them I was an undischarged BK and they were fine.
Just started setting up DD and SO now and getting wages and benefits paid in.
I did it after as I did not want to risk adding another account to the SOA and then find they close it, too much hassle, if all else fails you could try Think Banking, I know they charge but al least its an account.
JO

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it, get a brighter torch!"
Go to Top of Page

sueann

United Kingdom
300 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2008 :  14:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Co-Op are brilliant I went BR last week and have had my cashminder account 2 months, the OR told me he had no interest and will inform them, I spoke to Co-Op this morning and they said as soon as they hear from the OR I can use the account again.

It seems that people are not having any difficulty with them regardless of when the account is open and they are always polite and friendly, I maybe be keeping mine forever too.

Note though think banking charge for their account.
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2008 :  15:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
I would be very interested to hear from anyone that opens an account in bankruptcy, with any bank, from today.
There are rumours abound that all major banks (incl Co-op)have decided that they will no longer accept any bankrupt as a new customer with immediate effect.Nor will they accept discharged bankrupts until 6 years after discharge.

There is no call for alarm as yet as we don't know the validity of the rumour. Anyone successfully opening or being refused an application as of today would be helping the visitors of this forum a great deal if they would kindly post the details.

0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2008 :  15:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh John, I hope it is just a rumour! Presumably that could mean they may not 'unfreeze' accounts after BR then either?!

As I said, let's hope it's just a rumour!

CG. x
Go to Top of Page

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2008 :  16:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just contacted the co-operative bank because I go bankrupt on the 15th and was planning on opening an account on that date. She said that it is a rumour as far as her and her Manager is concerned. They haven't heard anything. She explained the cashminder account was designed by the government for people that are bankrupt or in financial difficulty. She just said bring every bit of paperwork with you, passport, driving licence, even IVA paperwork and she said it would be fine. Will keep you posted!

Maizie
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2008 :  16:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi
Thanks for that maizie. Please advise once your account is actually opened.

As I said, I do not wish in any way to cause widespread panic but previous posts have stated that applications have been approved but the account was eventually denied.

Likewise I had a call through the helpline last week where a branch, which one I don't know, of the Co-op stated that accounts are no longer available and bankrupts will have to wait 6 years.

This is why I have invited everyone to share their experiences so that hopefully the rumour can be dispelled.

Anyone else have any news on this?

0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2008 :  16:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok... if the rumours are true do you have any advice as to what to do next? I need a bank account that I can have direct debits... car insurance etc. from. My work have already confirmed that they can't pay into someone elses account.

Maizie
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2008 :  17:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
we need to establish if they're true first but Think Banking are one of a few options available. They are online and cost £12:50 per month.

It's all part of the rumour that more of these types of account will spring up as Think Banking is allied to Natwest.

So all high street banks could start this kind of service and guarantee custom by refusing us in the high street. Thus making up for some of the losses the have incurred recently.

But I cannot stress enough - it is all rumour at present and members of the forum will quickly give a greater insight by posting their experiences.

0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2008 :  17:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't be very happy if I have to go with Think Banking and have to pay a charge every month!! It doesn't seem fair!

Maizie
Go to Top of Page

SL44

194 Posts

Posted - 11 August 2008 :  22:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I will file for BC this month so I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of not being able to open a co op account.

If I was in the position where I had to open a fee paying account, would it be a bit cheeky to ask for this as an item of expenditure in the OR interview?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page