Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for august
 Spouses income
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

grantspants

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  21:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all

I was just wondering, does the OR have the ability to look into husband/wifes employment and income (they aren't the ones going BR)?

I know how much my wife contributes and it is quite low for various reasons, can they question that and ask for more from her wages?

ta much...

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  21:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi grantspants,

Hope you're ok this evening.

Again, just from what I've read, you only need to put down your wife's contribution and don't even need to declare her income. As she's not going BR I don't think they have the right to look into her affairs at all.

Hope I've got that right, but if not someone will tell you soon!

CG. x

Go to Top of Page

grantspants

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  21:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks C.G i'm fine, and you?

Thought I'd let you know too, I'm thinking of finishing off my SOA tomorrow and taking it into court on monday. I phoned the court and they say that I go in with my SOA and fee and make an appointment for later that week if possible to see the judge. So i reckon i'm gonna bite the bullet and go for it.
I'm sick of the constant stuff going round in my head and just want it done. Plus I've got a rented house lined up for Oct 11th which I've passed the checks for, gonna leave a holding fee (they asked for one). This is mainly because if I go BR before then if the landlord does get informed by the OR and throws us out then we still have the house. Any idea how long after BR before the OR interview?

What do you think of this way? will it work?

Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  21:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.

I'm good too ta-just had my indian takeaway ()

Yeah I think it should work out ok. Have you phoned the lettings agency anonymously to see what they would do if they found out about your BR? I think I told you we did and they reassured us. The only thing I can think of with your way is that you won't have paid any rent yet to show the landlord you can meet the payments. By the time we go BR, and landlord gets wind of it, we'll have made at least 2 payments on time and hopefully that will add to his reasons for keeping us here (fingers crossed!). Not a major reason at all, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Hope I haven't confused you even more-that's not the intention!!

I'm sure it'll work out for you hon.

Keep your chin up and keep asking the questions!

CG. x
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  22:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

if both parties go BR then the total income to the household via their joint salaries is disclosed.
(His on his SoA and hers on her SoA)

Not wishing to seem sexist but, if the female is going BR and the male not, and you then entered your partner's contribution as low, the OR might ask questions. (Yes I know that's outrageous).

But if the male is going BR and the female not, and you enter a very low figure as her contribution this is unlikely to be questioned, particularly if there are children.

Remember when only one party is going BR you have to enter the partners "contribution" not income.
If the partner has sufficient personal commitments then they may not be able to contribute anything.

www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

grantspants

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  22:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That has confused me a little bit C.G...
I'm kinda hoping that I can persuade the OR not to contact the landlord as I won't have any rent arrears if I haven't moved in yet. And I won't be declaring the rented house on the SOA when I submit it, because technically I 'm not in it yet. I was just gonna tell the OR at interview that I'm planning to move into rented accomodation unless of course the OR interview happens after the move in date.
How long is it usually between BR day and OR interview?

I need to lie down.....
Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  22:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no, sorry! The time between BR and OR interview really does seem to vary. In some places, where the OR's office is very close to the court, interviews can even be on the same day. On the other hand I've read about people waiting a few weeks-maybe up to a month or so depending how busy the OR is.

Sorry I'm not helping really, am I? I'm trying hard, I promise!

CG. x
Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  22:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing is you have to inform the OR if your circumstances change, so you'd have to tell them when you move into your rented place.

John, would the OR want to contact the landlord then, or would they not need to at that stage?

CG. x
Go to Top of Page

grantspants

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  22:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry C.G I appreciate your opinion and help

I just don't know what to do for the best, don't wanna lose the rented house because my wife loves the place and I think we'll be happy there for a few years.

I just don't know what to do for the best....god its tough.

Thank you too John. My wife is actually a chinese national and we travel over there every year to visit family etc so she needs to save for that as well.

I had it all set in my mind, but now I just don't now what to do for the best....
Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  22:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you spoken to the letting agent anonymously andasked if there's even a BR clause in the tenancy agreement??

CG. x
Go to Top of Page

grantspants

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  22:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No because I've kinda got on first name terms with the girl who deals with most of the lettings in there, and if I ask now it looks a bit suss doesn't it?

Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  22:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get someone else to do it for you! Gosh, I'll be doing it for you at this rate!! Hahaha!

CG. x
Go to Top of Page

grantspants

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  22:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha okey dokey, the phone number is 1234 567890

what a life, need to re-evaluate my strategy now....

cheers anyhow C.G and john
Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  22:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha I thought that really was the number till I looked more closely! I really think it's worth doing. It might just put your mind at rest and things may fall into place.

Hopefully John will let you know about the chance of the OR getting in touch with the landlord when you do eventually move in, cos if it's likely, again, that might make up your mind for you.

Really sorry I can't be more helpful! At least when you've heard from John or another expert about that you'll have a clearish picture of the pros and cons. Guess it has to be up to you then to make the decision. Sorry!

We're here whenever you need to sound off or bounce your ideas off us!

CG. x
Go to Top of Page

grantspants

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  22:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks C.G i'm off for a while to chill out and try and think of something else.

I might be back later or tomorrow, so have a good evening and don't forget to brush your teeth now you've had a curry for tea tonight! haha.

I'm gonna have a madras tomorrow night with my wifes money as I've ran out, she doesn't know yet though!

thanks again
Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  22:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha I promise I won't forget!!

Enjoy the madras (too hot for me-I'm only a korma girl!)

Get some rest and switch off for a while.

Take care,

CG. x
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page