Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 scared now so would be grateful for any help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dswife

125 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2008 :  22:47:24  Show Profile  Visit dswife's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone
have posted on the IVA forum before but never on here. Can anyone help? Today I had to Direct Line because our arrangement was up for review and the lady told me that our debt was now terminal and so we had to increase our repayment to £250 from £220. When I told her we could not afford that she said that they would issue me with a deafult notice and start further action. We have been paying £220 for the past 31 months with no problems and onyl have 13 months to go. Can anyone answer the following:

What does she mean that our debt is terminal?
What does a default notice mean?
Will we have to go to Court and what wll they do?

Im scared now so would be grateful for any help

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 10 September 2008 :  23:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
It would appear to me that the use of the word terminal is a scare tactic. It certainly has no legal meaning and if it's "terminal" why would they then invite you to increase your payments?

A default notice, in itself, is nothing to fear. It means the lender will be notifying the credit agencies that you are behind with your payments and you do not have to go to court nor is this a court matter.

However, it is also possible if your loan / credit agreement comes under the Consumer Credit Agreement 1974 act, that this is the first step towards them actually taking legal action.

This I doubt as you have maintained the agreed payments for such a long time and have but a relatively short time to go. Therefore if the lender tried court action the judge would find in your favour as you have clearly kept to your side of the deal.

I would therefore conclude this to be a scare tactic for reasons best known to the lender.

For your info if you continue the payments and the debt is settled you can have the default notice removed from your credit file.

www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page