Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Bank Account - Who with / Can I Keep?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AndyF

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2008 :  09:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, having exhausted an IVA as an option will be biting the bullet and going bankrupt over the next month or so. But, stressed as not sure what will happen with bank accounts as I think I'm going to alienate all my options. Especially as I'm self employed so I need one account for me, and one for Business transactions (I don't have many and am sole trader so seem to get away with using a personal account).

Anyway, currently using the Halifax for all, and don't owe them any money, so all would have been good in an IVA, but under BR they will get frozen. Am I likely to get them back?!? Advice appears not, especially as they've just been bought by Lloyds who I have a CC with.

Barclays are not an option as I have a Barclaycard, and Co-Op I assume are a no as I have a smile account with an £800 pound OD with. The usual suspects appear all gone assuming the no account if owed them money rule applies.

Think Banking are an option, sort of, although I don't like the setup, and they specifically say no business accounts.

Another option, is that I *could* get hold of the cash to pay off the Smile OD. In which case would Smile let me keep the account and/or would that at least let me get the cashminder account.?

I appreciate nothing is guaranteed, and I don't know how Smile react as they are not (quite) the co-op, but based on everyone's experiences what'd the advice? And other than poss sorting the OD, should I be sorting accounts now, or post BR?

TIA - and sorry for all the q's on a first post!

andrew.m

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2008 :  11:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
barclays dont own b/card anymore, i think that anyone you owe money to is a no no, also some banks will not allow undischarged bankrupts, you will have to call them anonymously and ask, try halifax they may let you keep a basic account, think banking take anyone with a £12.50 charge
http://www.thinkbanking.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

AndyF

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2008 :  11:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew.m

barclays dont own b/card anymore, i think that anyone you owe money to is a no no, also some banks will not allow undischarged bankrupts, you will have to call them anonymously and ask, try halifax they may let you keep a basic account, think banking take anyone with a £12.50 charge
http://www.thinkbanking.co.uk/

Will have to investigate Barclays more then, although paying off Smile and being 'clean' with the Co-Op seems to be the safest option.

Halifax am assuming will be a no no as they were bought by Lloyds this morning, and I owe Lloyds money. It's becoming a very small world banking wise!
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2008 :  12:42:15  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi AndyF and welcome to the forum.

You have to be careful that you don't show preferrentail treatment to any one particular creditor prior to BR and the OR will claw the money back to distribute pro-rata amongst your creditors.

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

AndyF

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2008 :  20:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trust me, I don't *want* to give any one preferential treatment, and need that £800 towards a car, current one on finance and happy to give that up (unsecured).

Only other options appear to be Think Banking and/or the Yorkshire Bank cash transactor accounts. Any real comments on those, remembering I'll need two in total.

TIA
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2008 :  20:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi AndyF

Think banking are good its just they charge you a set up fee, a fee for any additional card holder and also a monthly fee for the use of the account.

If you dont mond paying the fee then its ideal.

Yorkshire Bank you need £100 to open this account and from what i have read seems pretty good.

Let us know how you get on.

Jo x

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it get a brighter torch"

For links to help with Bankruptcy, useful web pages and also a run down of my new debt free life, both before and after Bankruptcy, then please visit my blog:

http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

andrew.m

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2008 :  08:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do yorkshire bank allow undischarged BR's?
Go to Top of Page

AndyF

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2008 :  08:16:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew.m

do yorkshire bank allow undischarged BR's?

Technically this account is a savings account (http://www.ybs.co.uk/savings/easy_access/transactor/index.jsp) and not a current account, just unusual in that you can setup DD's and SO's, so I think it is only credit searched and not credit scored which is the norm for savings.

I could be wrong, but googling suggested this may be suitable for undischarged bankrupts.

Think Banking may well be the safest answer to go for here if Barclays say no.
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2008 :  08:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi AndyF

I think yorkshire bank do take for the transactor account undischarged BR but i did not apply as the day we went BR we did not have the £100 to put in.

Let us know what else you find out and good luck with sorting your bank accounts out.

Take care

Jo x

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it get a brighter torch"

For links to help with Bankruptcy, useful web pages and also a run down of my new debt free life, both before and after Bankruptcy, then please visit my blog:

http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

AndyF

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2008 :  11:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, Think Banking did look ideal until I realised there's no online banking, and it doesn't seem clear if you can do one off bank transfers. Don't think I could cope with these as self employed and often need to transfer money from the account I use for work to my personal account. Plan Z, off to google some more!
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 22 September 2008 :  13:46:36  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi AndyF,

Best of luck!

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page