Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Overpayment of tax credits
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nat

367 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2008 :  16:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI all

bit confused as i thought that if i owed money to inlad revenue (tax credits in this case) this would not be written off and i would still have to pay this back. However, just read another thread, and may have misinterpeted, but i read it to mean that they could be written off???

I did put it on my SoA and stated what i thought the repayments might be on my I&E.

Be good if it was written off as I think I have a court battle about to commence with my ex and could be very expensive but must be done. All of a sudden being BR means very little, got much bigger probs at the mo, didn't think that would be possible but kids mean much more than any amount of money.

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2008 :  17:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't imagine it would be written off, how muchj of an overpayment was it?
Go to Top of Page

Nat

367 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2008 :  17:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hI RHB

I didn't think that it would be written off. It's actually 2 seperate claims but both together total just short of £800.
Go to Top of Page

movin on
Average Member

United Kingdom
946 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2008 :  17:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nat

Well im certainly no expert, however i have been informed that any overpayments can be added to BR (i have put them down on my forms anyway).

I hope this helps a little.

Jenny
xx

The weights are coming off my shoulders very slowly, but making such a big diference !!
Go to Top of Page

Nat

367 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2008 :  18:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jenny

THanks, I did put them on my unsecured debts guess I'll know in less than 48 hours eh?!!

Nat
x
Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2008 :  19:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Won't they just adjust your tax credits accordingly though, in other words they will go down for this next year by #800?
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2008 :  19:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i also wrote my one down on my SoA and it should be included too.
Ours was an old claim, that once the old claim was cancelled we were billed, then we started it back up again and the debt could not be included in the new claim hence the bill.
Hope this helps.

Jo x

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it get a brighter torch"

For links to help with Bankruptcy, useful web pages and also a run down of my new debt free life, both before and after Bankruptcy, then please visit my blog:

http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

movin on
Average Member

United Kingdom
946 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2008 :  20:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nat

I take it your going br on wednesday or is that when your interview with or is ?

Please keep us informed - im going BR on 13 october so shouldnt be too far behind you. Im very nervous already

Good luck

xx

The weights are coming off my shoulders very slowly, but making such a big diference !!
Go to Top of Page

Nat

367 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2008 :  21:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Moneyworries
I've been BR for 11 days now! It's the OR interview on Wednesday.

Don't be nervous, it really is much easier than you think going to court, I know everyone said that to me and I still looked absolutely petrified but it was over in 45 minutes and quite a bit of the time was down to the cashier checking that my money wasn't counterfeit!! You really will be fine and don't worry if you miss anything on you rform it will be picked up and you can alter it there as necessary.

A word of warning everyone there are loads of dodgy £20 notes going about at the moment.

RHB - tax credits don't deduct off your current tax credits or the following years, mad I know, I did ask them to do that. And I'm sure they are wrong this year as well, have queried it and they are adamant that they are right, i'll find out next year i guess!

Jo - thanks for your input, think i'll just sit it out and wait and see what the OR says, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks everyone!!
Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2008 :  08:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just wondering if I will have an overpayment this year cos I thiink I'll be going into the next band of money, so do I need to keep some money aside to pay them back with do you think?????
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2008 :  09:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi RHB

The only reason i got billed was because my other half and i split and i did a single claim, then we got back together and the claim had to be shut down and a new one made, then they billed me for overpayment. They told me they could not add it onto a new claim as it was under an old one.
If i have overpayment for this year then they will take from next years money and like you i think we will be over paid yet again.
The new system is a nightmare and every year we are over paid even though we inform them. I would leave it as is and let it come out of neat years allowance if i were you.

Jo x

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, if you cant find it get a brighter torch"

For links to help with Bankruptcy, useful web pages and also a run down of my new debt free life, both before and after Bankruptcy, then please visit my blog:

Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2008 :  09:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's ok then, I was getting a bit worried then! If I go into the next band it won't be by a lot, all depends on what work is on offer.
Go to Top of Page

eamonn

320 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2008 :  12:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi
i have not included mine yet but i suppose i should but the main reason i have not is that my ctc payment has never been correct in the 3 years i have claimed (i have about 15 different statments from them and the last is wrong but i can not be bothered to put it right because the next one will be wrong again anyway)maybe they will get it right some time prob when the claim finishes
Go to Top of Page

Nat

367 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2008 :  19:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
Not sure if my tax credits will be included or not my OR wasn't sure at all. It seems that tax credits really don't know what they are doing at all!!!!
Good luck everybody with it
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 02 October 2008 :  08:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nat

That sounds just like my OR at the time of my interview.

I will let you all know if i hear anything about it and please do the same.

The Tax credits are good its just they always seem to have us paying it back :-(

Jo x

Please visit my blog for info on how I got here and other information to guide you through from my experience called:

"Needafriend's New Debt Free Life with Links and added info on Bankruptcy!" available to view at:

Go to Top of Page

Dee

United Kingdom
215 Posts

Posted - 02 October 2008 :  20:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I went BR in May. I had about £8k overpayments from previous years which I was paying back via deductions from my present payments. This debt was written off in the BR but deductions will continue to be made in the tax year in which you were made BR. After that no further deductions will be made. If I ger early discharge and send in my discharge cert then they will make the adjustments in this tax year.
Confusing I know but I hope it helps.

Dee

View my Blog at http://DeeDee.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page