Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 IPA after discharge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

twokatz

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  19:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone set my mind at rest please.

I was automatically discharged in August. My bankruptcy was handled by an IP rather than the OR. In April, the IP wrote to me saying that they wanted an IPA of £72 per month. I wrote straight back and asked them how they had come to that figure as I had previously been told that it was unlikely that I would get an IPA. I sent them an updated I&E showing that my mortgage payments had increased. I didn't hear anything from them again until today when I received a letter saying that I was several months in arrears and they wanted repaying now. I know I didn't agree to this figure and I didn't sign anything. Surely, now that I'm discharged they can't come back for this?

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2008 :  20:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there twokatz

I am not sure on that one. Maybe one of the other members or experts can shed a bit of light on this for you.
I was under the impression that you had to sign the IPA for it to be impossed and also if you did not then they could go for an IPO which you would know about as it goes to court.

Good luck and keep posting.

Jo x
Mother Hen

Please visit my blog for info on how I got here and other information to guide you through from my experience called:

"Mother Hen's New Debt Free Life with Links and added info on Bankruptcy!" available to view at:

http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Go to Top of Page

grantspants

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 04 October 2008 :  08:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry twokatz, I don't know the answer either, but I wanted to bump up your topic so that one of the experts will see it. It seems a bit harsh to me though.

Keep smiling
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 04 October 2008 :  09:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi GP

That one is strange as like i said it had to be inplace before discharge and the agreement signed.

Oh well maybe one of the others will be able to help soon.

Im just adding to my post so that it gets moved up, maybe Suzanne will know more.

LOL

Jo x
Mother Hen

Please visit my blog for info on how I got here and other information to guide you through from my experience called:

"Mother Hen's New Debt Free Life with Links and added info on Bankruptcy!" available to view at:

Edited by - Needafriend on 07 October 2008 09:32:05
Go to Top of Page

twokatz

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - 06 October 2008 :  20:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your thoughts-can any of the experts confirm this please?
Go to Top of Page

zoe

329 Posts

Posted - 07 October 2008 :  10:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there
Have you signed an IPA?
Go to Top of Page

twokatz

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - 07 October 2008 :  12:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Zoe

No, I haven't signed anything. I got a letter in April from the IP stating that they had reviewed my I&E and they wanted an agreement to pay £72pm. I wrote back asking where this figure had come from and didn't receive a reply. The only payments that I have made are my Nil Tax Code payments.
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 07 October 2008 :  13:53:22  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Twokatz,

The great news is that as long as you've not agreed to the IPA and signed nothing, now you're discharged, they can't do anything.

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

zoe

329 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2008 :  09:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to throw a spanner in the works here sorry!!
Surely you must have signed to state that you will pay over nil tax code payments - this is an IPA?
Wouldn't this mean Julian that you are bound???
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2008 :  09:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i was wondering that, as those like my OH signed the NT code IPA but i was like many under the impression that this is the only one and after discharge and once the NT code has finished that would be that and they would have no come back.
Ours state a finishing date which is the end of the financial year, can they impose a new one even though the date would have finished well before BR discharge.

Now im worried. :-(

Jo x
Your Mother Hen :-)

Go to Top of Page

BankruptC

1030 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2008 :  09:28:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They can't Jo. Not unless your circumstances change of course.

Not sure what's going on in twokatz's case. Very odd.

C. x
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 08 October 2008 :  09:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi BC

I was getting exceptionally worried there, i knew that if our monies go up enough before discharge then yes we may end up in an IPA but i at present with me not working its low and we dont have one.
If just before discharge they ask again then like you said it could all change but i got myself a little concerned then thinking OMG! what have we done, we have given the OR free reign to start a new one when they like.
I take it that if they do redo our I&E and find we can next year do one before discharge then we have to sign a new agreement. Is that right as it would have to be under 2 types as one is for NT code and one if we had to would be I&E based.

LOL

Jo x

Go to Top of Page

twokatz

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2008 :  00:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All

I didn't sign anything at all. I received a letter from the IP quite early on saying that they wanted a cheque each month for the tax, which I sent them but I'm sure I didn't sign anything then (I haven't got copies of anything and there aren't any letters asking me to sign anything).

I'm thinking that they have found out they have made a mistake and are just trying it on. Their letter asking for £72 pm was in April and I wrote back in May asking how they came to that figure. I didn't hear anything else until last week-though as stated above I got discharged in August. They have taken ages to reply to all my letters and I think that they have only just realised that they have run out of time.

Surely the fact that I have paid the tax, without signing anything, doesn't mean I've entered into an IPA without knowing?
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2008 :  06:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi twokatz

Thats really strange, I do hope that you get this sorted out as liek you have said your free now from your debts and now the OR is trying to get you into another one :-(

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Jo x

Go to Top of Page

twokatz

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - 13 October 2008 :  14:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All

I thought I would update all of you who thought this situation strange. I just got a letter from the IP stating that they have now reviewed my I&E (nearly 2 months after discharge!!) and they agree that I don't have surplus funds, so an IPA isn't applicable. They also agree in the letter that I was discharged in August but haven't apologised for their heavy handed approach or even acknowledged that they were wrong.

twokatz
Go to Top of Page

movin on
Average Member

United Kingdom
946 Posts

Posted - 13 October 2008 :  15:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi twokatz

Glad to hear that - you stuck to your guns ans was proved right in the end. I agree they should have apologised, and maybe you will get one in due course. If you are feeling that strong, maybe a short letter outlining your grievances will make you feel like you have had your say. Depends how you feel at the end of the day.

Good luck in your new debt free life

Jenny

xx

The weights are coming off my shoulders very slowly, but making such a big diference !!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page