Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Hi,Would i have to use my local court?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ian.s

176 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2008 :  12:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Would i have to use my local court?
Also i've heard that i could ask the official reciever to leave my name out of the local paper, is this true? And do they do it very often?

Thanks

debtrider

494 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2008 :  12:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Ian.s

You usually attend the court that is local to you. I think the OR would only exclude your name and address in exceptional circumstances and they do not very often.

Debtrider
Go to Top of Page

ian.s

176 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2008 :  13:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, thanks for your answers.

I just wondered whether if i used a different court if my name would be printed in the local paper of the area of the court, or would it still be printed in my local paper due to my address?
Go to Top of Page

debtrider

494 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2008 :  13:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ian.s

Oh I see where you are coming from. I'm afraid you would not be able to get away with this one. Don't worry too much about it going into the a paper. You will be included in a list of other bankrupts in small print, and unless you are specifically looking for it then you would not notice it. Any way your bankruptcy is a private matter and is no one elses business.

No one has mentioned it to me since my bankruptcy was printed in the paper and it would not bother me anymore. My life is a lot better since I went bankrupt and I am now in control of my finances. If I can't afford to buy then I do not spend.

All the best

Debtrider
Go to Top of Page

pix1
Average Member

689 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2008 :  14:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ian.s,

You are meant to petition your BR in 'centre of your main interests for the past 6 months'.

Even if you moved home for a week you would still, technically, be duty bound to petition it at the earlier address.

Also, as someone said, is it that important if it goes in the local newspaper? It might not end up in there anyway but if it did, who'd know? Who'd care? If there is somebody you would prefer did not know and they are monitoring the local paper to see if you go BR it scarcely matters. Why? Because such a person who was interested might also monitor the Gazette newspaper in print or online and everyone's bankruptcy goes in that publication wherever they petition it. In England it is the London Gazette. Think about it: did you ever look out for bankruptcies of strangers in the local paper? I know I didn't.

Go to Top of Page

maizie
Average Member

United Kingdom
566 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2008 :  14:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In order for some or all of your details to be left out of the paper you would need to apply for a stay of advertisement. The form you would obtain from court, with a £30 fee and it is presented to the judge. Only he/she can make that decision but you would need to inform your OR that you were doing this to prevent proceedings to the paper going ahead. I had a stay of advertisement, its very rare it gets accepted. You need a very good reason i.e. personal safety etc. and proof would need to be provided.

Maizie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page