Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 I'm potentially looking at bankruptcy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wordseye
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 23 December 2008 :  00:27:25  Show Profile  Visit wordseye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm potentially looking at bankruptcy in a few months. I have one major asset which is my home. The equity (i.e. current market value excess over mortgage)in the property is about £20k, although this may decrease a little in coming months as prices continue to fall. In order to keep my home, I think I may be able to sell the equity to a member of my family. Is this correct, and am I legally able to do this without the official receiver challenging it once I have declared myself bankrupt? Are there any legal pitfalls I need to look out for and do I have to sell the equity at full market value? Thank you.

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 23 December 2008 :  09:05:04  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Wordseye and welcome to the forum.

I would suggest getting a proper surveyors valuation before you do anything else. In addition, if you get a balance (including early redemption charges) from your mortgage provider, you may well find yourself already in negative equity. If this is the case, then you can walk into bankruptcy and the OR will sell your beneficial interest to a 3rd party (who you can nominate) for £1 + costs (circa £211).

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Don't forget the helpline on 0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

wordseye
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 23 December 2008 :  10:48:09  Show Profile  Visit wordseye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Julian. If after a professional valuation and taking any early redemption costs into account, I still end up with say £5000 in equity, should I take any action myself from a legal point of view in selling the equity, or would I be better off leaving the process to the OR, if as you say, I can nominate a 3rd party to buy it?

Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 23 December 2008 :  13:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

all I would say is to sell your beneficial interest to a 3rd party pre bankruptcy is not simple as lenders get nervous and you cannot do so without the lenders ok.
When it is done following bankruptcy and instigated by the OR the lender knows he has little choice.
It is also likely that the process will be less costly doing so via the OR therefore post bankruptcy.

The only downside to that is it can take a while for the OR to get around to dealing with your beneficial interest post bankruptcy and even when you have nominated a 3rd party to purchase the BI, and that 3rd party has made their interest known to the OR, it can be an anxious wait for it all to happen.

But if you have a recent valuation, a recent redemption statement, a nominated buyer of the BI and the funds to do so - it will happen.

www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

wordseye
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 23 December 2008 :  17:20:05  Show Profile  Visit wordseye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply John. All info much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page