Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Housekeeping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

andy b

267 Posts

Posted - 04 January 2009 :  18:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

just going through my expenditure and I noticed that the guidelines for housekeeping for 2 adults and no children is £394 per month which seems quite high, ours is closer to £300. Should I put down something closer to £394 as opposed to tacking on holiday/emergency household repairs/dentist etc as other essential payments?

What would the safest course of action be?, obviously I'd sooner not have to pay any IPA.

thanks,
andy

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 04 January 2009 :  18:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

it's my opinion that you should claim what you are entitled to irrespective of the monthly cost in real terms.

You should claim the £394 AND for domestic break (not holiday - some OR's do not like that terminology) repairs and renewals and dentist bills.

For the 2 of you £40 - £30 - £20 should be fine against the 3 expenditures you mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

andy b

267 Posts

Posted - 04 January 2009 :  19:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your quick reply,

the thing is though my wife only brings home roughly £450 per month and since the closure of my business on Christmas Eve I am without a job, I have 1 interview next week and lets say I get the job the salary is 12k a year(where did it all go wrong?) I reckon the combined monthly income will be roughly £900 so with my expenditure being

rent 300
hk 394
gas etc 75
water 32
telephone 48
travelling 155
travelling(public tranport) 54
clothing 112
maintenance 0
council tax 100

this comes to 1270 even before Other Essential Payments.

These are figures from what looks like official guidelines obtained from a link from this forum so i am assuming they are right.

Now give or take a bit they are more or less accurate, so with my basic expenditure alone more than our monthly income my wife will have to work more hours to achieve parity.

my actual question is bearing in mind the Other Essential Payments section still to fill in does my on paper outgoings need to be less than my incomings(i know it sounds daft but i shall ask anyway as unsure how easy it is to change in the future after been submitted.)

I can get by for now on some funds put back prior to the business closure.

thanks,
andy
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 04 January 2009 :  20:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

it is perfectly ok for your basic expenditure claim to be higher than current income.

www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

andy b

267 Posts

Posted - 04 January 2009 :  20:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you John,

But once I add on the other essential payments, lets say another £150 combined per month surely the OR will dispute this as for the time being my incomings are not high enough?

Sorry to be so picky but i'm doing the paperwork at the mo as the court date is on the 9th.

Regards,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2009 :  10:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, are you saying to claim the maximum allowance even if you don't spend that much? Surely you should only claim what you actually spend?

Won't the OR get suspicious if everyone is claiming the same, and then start asking for proof?

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

18 IPA payments to go!

Edited by - Skippy on 05 January 2009 10:05:33
Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2009 :  12:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would imagine that looking at your bank statements would give them some idea Skippy!!!
Go to Top of Page

andy b

267 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2009 :  12:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to have to bump this one but i'm hoping to complete the forms today.

Simply put, should I make my monthly expenditure as much as it is entitled to be in case I get a job with a better salary or do I need to keep it within my joint monthly income(bearing in mind it's pretty low)?

If its the latter then how easy is it to cooperate with the OR if my monthly income does increase?

Regards,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2009 :  14:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

as I have said before, it is my opinion that you should claim the essential spending allowances available to you and to answer Skippy's earlier question, yes even if you are not spending as much as the allowance.

Obviously you cannot claim for things you don't have (vehicle expense when you don't run a car or pet insurance when you don't have a pet) but my personal view is this:-

2 families of Mum, Dad and 2 kids below 16 years old. They are neighbours, they both have identical income.
Both family incomes happen to equal the sum allowed for a family of 4 as essential expenditure in bankruptcy. Lets say for the sake of arguement that's £2000 per month.

Family one spends the full sum of £2000 per month on nothing other than the essential expenditures allowed.

Family two is very frugal with the use of utility supplies, they spend less on food, don't visit the hairdressers as they cut their own hair nor use the dry cleaners. They don't have a dental payment plan nor do they own a TV.

Family two is therefore able to live on, let's say, £1700 for the month.

In my opinion it is not right that the reward for family two for being so careful with their money is to give 50% of the remainder to the OR.

The OR will of course pick up on any regular expenditure not listed in an SoA from bank statements. They will also note if expenditure levels are not quite as high as claimed in the SoA.

They should also know that to question expenditure levels claimed, from this information, should only be done if an individual or overall expenditure claim is excessive.
Most OR's offices, in my opinion, are likely to agree with this and that is why examiners often INCREASE claims made by the bankrupt.

As always, ultimately the choice is yours.

www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
0800 078 9367
Go to Top of Page

andy b

267 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2009 :  14:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, just to labour the point for the final time as I want to get it right.

The OR won't find it odd if my monthly outgoings were £1300 but my monthly income was £950?

Regards,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2009 :  14:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy

I dont think so, that is what most of us have done. Thats why now we are insolvent.

Also before we went BR for 2 1/2 years we lived on about £30 per week food for 5 of us and now we have food in our cupboards and fridge and its great. I can also manage to buy some nice things too as i explained to my OR we have lived with little money so that the debts could be paid and on time.

LOL

Jo
x

22 Weeks down

30 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!

Edited by - Needafriend on 05 January 2009 14:36:34
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2009 :  14:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see your point John, but I'd rather be honest about my expenditure.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

18 IPA payments to go!

Edited by - Skippy on 05 January 2009 14:41:21
Go to Top of Page

andy b

267 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2009 :  14:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, lovely.

I shall finish the forms today.

Regards,
Andy x
Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2009 :  14:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thing is though, if you have an IPA that is to pay for YOUR debt. And it won't pay for all of it either.
Go to Top of Page

andy b

267 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2009 :  15:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, could you explain please?
Go to Top of Page

Needafriend

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2009 :  15:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy,

I agree RHB what do you mean?

Thanks

Jo
x

22 Weeks down

30 to go

For more info on how i have come through bankruptcy and for links to help, you can read my blog here called:
Needafriend's Info on Bankruptcy :-)
http://debtfreejo.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/
Needafriend says: Live life to the full, take life by the horns and live a little, otherwise life would be so boring!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page