Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for march
 Desperately need help and advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clemmie

170 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2007 :  10:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have finally plucked up the courage to post.

Until 2 and a half years ago my husband and I had very responsible, well-paid (state well-paid - not private well- paid)jobs. We thought we would be working for at least another 10 or so years and stood to inherit as well, so had a good chance of clearing our debts to a manageable level before retirement. We spent years bailing our children out (as you do) and also treating ourselves to a really good holiday each year - often our children too. That's basically how the debts built up to what is now almost £200,000 between us.

Then our world was torn apart - my husband was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. I will not go into all the medical side but it was quite a serious diagnosis at the time and he eventually decided to take early retirement due to ill-health. I also decided to retire early. Fortunately healthwise he is doing very well and his Cancer is managed. He was given a part-time position by the University and I manged to get well-paid consultancy work so with our pensions we have been able to continue to pay our debts, allbeit only at the minimum amount. We had hoped this would continue for another couple of years at least, but unfortunately both our contracts are ending in August and we can no longer bury our heads in the sand. Another complication is that we do not own a house in this country as we have always lived in College premises. We used our retirement lump sums to buy a little cottage in France (no mortgage) as we could not afford a property in England. We have spent money over the past 2 years making it habitable and are prepared to live in France for some of the year but will have to live with my Mother in Law for the rest of the year for my husband to continue his trreatment under the NHS.

It has been incredibly difficult to write this as I feel so ashamed and it's made it a reality, but terrifying as that is it had to be done.
Please help with advice if you can - we would really appreciate it.

BankruptcyHelpline

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - 17 February 2007 :  17:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Clemmie, what an incredible story, reading between the lines you still have a terrific sense of optimism.

Sometimes you have to think slightly outside the box on these forums and I am sure anyone reading your post would want you and you husband to live peacefully in France after doing a great job educating young people in this country.

Just a couple of questions for you...

Can you find out if your pension is Inland Revenue approved?

How much is the French property worth?

Keep going Clemmie.

Regards.

Regards, Dennis,
www.BankruptcyHelpline.Org
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page