Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Statutory demand incorrectly served
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trainee solicitor
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2009 :  20:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a trainee solicitor and have served a statutory demand on an individual. However, instead of personal service it was just sent through the post and then after 21 days a Bankruptcy Petition was served. At the court hearing the judge said that the statutory demand had not been served correctly but agreed to postpone the bankruptcy hearing until Feb. He said that if the Statutory demand is not served correctly then he can strike the bankruptcy petition out. Therefore do i just serve the same statutory demand by personal service? or do I have to start the whole process again? Do they need 21days again?

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2009 :  21:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

did the judge not explain in what way he deemed that the stat demand had been served incorrectly?
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2009 :  21:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

looking at your post again I think that as the judge must be sure that the defendant has had 21 days to respond to the demand prior to the hearing, and as you used the postal sytem therefore he cannot be sure when it arrived, that the postponement of the hearing is for him to know in his own mind that the defendant has had the requisit length of time during which to settle the debt.

I do not therefore think that you have to do anymore except turn up to the resceduled hearing pursuing your original claim.

After all it was merely a postponement.
If it was thrown out altogether then he would not have rescheduled and you would have to start again.
Go to Top of Page

go_4_broke

221 Posts

Posted - 31 January 2009 :  22:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think if there is any risk of confusion you need to start again and follow the whole procedure through to the letter.

A Stat. Demand not served is technically invalid.

You could just reserve it as John suggests but if there is any doubt that due process has not been properly followed a good defence could get the case thrown out again.

Best Regards
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page