Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 BR hearing this morning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shirley

71 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2009 :  18:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone

I had my bankruptcy hearing this morning. It's almost over.

I arrived at court about 10 minutes early which was just as well as it wasn't clear which area I was supposed to be in. When I finally figured it out, I had to wait about 20 minutes as there was someone with an appointment in front of me. When it came to me, I was taken into a small office with a very nice lady who relieved me of my £495 and went through the forms and got me to swear on the affadavit. I was then sent upstairs to wait to see the judge. I had to wait about an hour and three quarters as it seemed they were fitting bankruptcy hearings in inbetween divorce and family hearings. Before I went in the usher, also a very nice lady, told me to just go into the room sit down at the table and wait for the judge to address me and if I needed to speak to him address him as your honour or sir. I had been fairly composed up to that point but she was so nice i was finally undone and shed a few tears. She told me she knew how stressed I was feeling and not too worry because the judge was alright really. Pulling myself together I went to see his honour. After that long wait, the interview lasted 4 minutes exactly. He asked if I had taken advice, I mentioned this website. He asked how I managed to accumulate such a substantial amount of debt and if I understood the consequences of bankruptcy. He then announced that as of today I was bankrupt and to go back downstairs to wait for my bankruptcy order to be printed. After all the worry, 2 and a half hours, actually only 10 minutes if you take out the waiting time and it was over. I had never felt such overwhelming relief. The best thing is I have had calls from three creditors (2 tlephone and 1 house call) this afternoon and it actually made me smile (only afterwards). As soon as I told them I had been declared bankrupt, after a stunned silence they asked me for the bankruptcy details, thanked (?) me and that was it. Just waiting for the OR to call which I am told will be tomorrow. Not sure if this is to make an appointment for an interview or the interview itself. Never mind, just one more hurdle and I will be fine.

I would like to say thank you again for the help this website and the people posting on it have given me and hope that anyone reading this takes heart. I realise that maybe not all experiences will be as positive as mine but it is nowhere near as bad as you think it is going to be.

Best wishes to those still thinking about it, good luck to those going through it and congratulations to those that have already been there.

Shirley

Edited by - shirley on 18 February 2009 19:27:19

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2009 :  18:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad it went ok Shirley.

Good luck for the future.

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

leahk

117 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2009 :  18:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Shirley, I'm in court tomorrow, am now at that very tightly coiled spring stage, and reading of your experience gives me hope.
Good luck for a happy and debt free future
x
Go to Top of Page

s4pps

252 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2009 :  18:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad it went well, good luck for the future :)

Suzanne x

Go to Top of Page

shirley

71 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2009 :  18:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the best wishes Jan & Suzanne.

Leah, I won't say don't worry because I know you will anyway but by tomorrow things will definitely be looking up. Good luck and let us know how it went.

Shirley

Go to Top of Page

Lizzie

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 18 February 2009 :  22:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad all went well for you Shirley, this site is certainly a mind of information and well worth reading through all the topics, it is certainly helping me and my husband while we consider whether it would be a good idea for him to go BK, before I knew nothing about BK......not I know so much more as to what is involved and its less scary.

Good luck with the OR interview
Go to Top of Page

shirley

71 Posts

Posted - 19 February 2009 :  07:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lizzie,

Thank you for the best wishes. Good luck for the future whatever you decide. If you come to the decision to go bankrupt, I know that you will get the support you need both during and after the event from this website.

Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 19 February 2009 :  08:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad it went well Shirley, and good luck for today Leahk x

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

20 IPA payments made, 16 to go - on the home straight!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page