Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 I have debts of £6000
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

suetw
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02 March 2009 :  13:30:36  Show Profile  Visit suetw's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have debts of £6000 and have been paying mostly interest for the past year due to the downturn in the economy, would the solution be to go bankrupt, sue

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 02 March 2009 :  14:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Suetw, and welcome to the forum,from 6th April this year there comes into being a new solution called the Debt Relief Order (DRO) which is aimed at people with debts under £15k Under a DRO provided you have a disposable income of less than £50 per month no assets and a vehicle under £1k (after all your costs such as rent/utilities'food/travel etc) To see whether or not you qualify for a DRO make an appointment in your local Citizens Advice Bureau as they are processing the DRO applications - the good news is the fees for the DRO are £90 not £495 as in bankruptcy.

If i can be of further help please ask

Melanie Nicholas
28 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
Go to Top of Page

pix1
Average Member

689 Posts

Posted - 02 March 2009 :  17:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it would be a shame to go bankrupt for only £6000 however difficult it is making payments on your credit. Other options may exist.
Go to Top of Page

suetw
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2009 :  08:30:35  Show Profile  Visit suetw's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Melanie,
thanks for your prompt reply what docs are required as I am self employed?
quote:
Originally posted by Melanie.n

Hi Suetw, and welcome to the forum,from 6th April this year there comes into being a new solution called the Debt Relief Order (DRO) which is aimed at people with debts under £15k Under a DRO provided you have a disposable income of less than £50 per month no assets and a vehicle under £1k (after all your costs such as rent/utilities'food/travel etc) To see whether or not you qualify for a DRO make an appointment in your local Citizens Advice Bureau as they are processing the DRO applications - the good news is the fees for the DRO are £90 not £495 as in bankruptcy.

If i can be of further help please ask

Melanie Nicholas
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles

Go to Top of Page

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 03 March 2009 :  08:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are self employed check your outstadning tax liability etc as this may put you over the threshold for a DRO and bankruptcy may be your only option. You obtain the docs for bankruptcy by contacting your local court, ask to speak to the bankruptcy clerk and reueste a pack to be sent to you for filing for bankruptcy (at this stage they will only want your name and address for sending the pack) it is a good time however when on the phone asking when their next available appointment is, some courts will fit you in within a week - other courts there is up to 4 week delay, so it would be best to book the appointment whilst on the phone. You will need for the OR all your paperwork regarding your debts plus accounts for your trading etc

Melanie Nicholas
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page