Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 bailiffs
 Delay in BR appointment -Panic!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 2

stressedoutsteve
Starting Member

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  13:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I have posted this as aquestion to the Experts, but want to ask for any other advice too if thats ok. I am deep in debt to banks and credit cards, to the tune of over £100K. I have not paid car HP for two months now and am getting calls, letters and texts daily from the banks, CCards and someone called 'Aegis' who I assume is adebt recobvery co. Today I decided I cant put it off any longer and rang the local court (nottingham) to make a BR appt, hoping to get it done next week. I was horrified to be told that I cant have an appointment until friday 8th may!Six Weeks! I dont know hwat to do now. Do I tell my creditors I have made a BR appt? What will they then do? Or do I continue to ignore texts, letters calls etc and just grit my teeth and wait it out? I am so let down today 'cos I thought that today really was going to be the first day of the rest of my life, guess not. N.B. I am half owner of ahouse in Spain worth around £350K but ex-wife wont sell or move out (despite financial seetlement agreeing to do so) so thats why I'm here! I will tell OR about the house, hopefuly they will evict her, pay debts and disharge me. Any way, sorry to bang on, any advice welcomed guys, thanks, steve.

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  14:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure one of the experts will be along to give you some advice on this, but I can only tell you of my own experience. Luckily I lived in an area where you didn't need to make an appointment with the court, you just turned up on the day. Regarding your creditors, I'm afraid I think they will continue to pester you right until you are declared bankrupt. It might be a question of ignoring their calls, etc until you are actually bankrupt. Even then they may still call you (as they have been doing with me). At least if they continue after BK, you can give them your BK number or refer them to your OR and that will stop any further contact.

Sorry I can't sound more positive.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

memphisd56

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  14:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, In the meantime...it`s not illegal to move your goods our, if a Baliff hasn`t already visited, and told you his intention to seize those goods. I hid mine, and as soon as i was delared B.R. Back they came!.
Go to Top of Page

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  14:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately many Courts are experiencing delays in appointments for up to 6 weeks due to vlume of work. If any creditor contact you just state that you are in the process of filing for bankruptcy ast ...court on.... this should satisfy them in the short term. Always keep them informed, you will find they are far more co-operative that way then if you ignore any letters or calls

Melanie Nicholas
28 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
Go to Top of Page

stressedoutsteve
Starting Member

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  16:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Melanie et al. I am a bit worried about the bit about Baliffs though. If I tell my creditors I am 'going' to go BR will they try to rush through a court hearing in the interim and then use Baliffs?
Would I not be better off in this case waiting for afew weeks? thanks Steve
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  16:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It might be worth asking the court if they have a standby list in case of cancellations, or failing that keep calling them to see if anyone has cancelled.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

21 IPA payments made, 15 to go - on the home straight!
Go to Top of Page

ripski

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  16:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only just joined this site. Really worried by talk of bailffs. I thought that once you started the BR route then any thing like this would be put on hold. I am just starting the paperwork, applying to my local court next week ( tried the High Court in london with no luck)but I have a CCJ going alongside, with a company/Incasso who want a charging order. This has just been transferred to another court but no response as yet. I have declared this on my petiiton and just thought that the two would be married up. How quickly do bailffs get sent in?

ripski1
Go to Top of Page

memphisd56

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  16:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I`m sure an expert will answer soon....but from my own experience, i was getting a bit jittery, and fed up with hiding behind the curtains, e.t.c!!....i felt i could relax, once i`d moved stuff out. I even parked my car round the back of my house, as sometimes balliffs can be handy with a clamp...a car is an easy target.

An expert will verify this...but i thought i would pass on my experiences. Forwarned, is forearmed, as they say!!.
Go to Top of Page

stressedoutsteve
Starting Member

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  18:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Memphis. Could do with some expert advice here! I have never been late with any payments until now, credit cards etc always on time. Cant pay them now so dont quite know what to expect when I dont pay. Do they take you to court quickly? how fast is the process? I just want to get to the BR date (8th may) before a Baliff turns up here. This is very concerning and very very stressfull asI guess you know. Anty advice or experiences welcomed. Thanks Steve
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  21:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps one of the experts could help with this one and advise Steve on the procedures before a bailiff can call.

Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.

Go to Top of Page

memphisd56

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  21:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is just my experience...and i`m sure an expert will be along soon..

I`m sure that you will receive official notification before the baliffs knock at your door, and it sounds to me like you are o.k for time....Your court date isn`t that far away. Not all baliffs have automatic entry rights,as long as you don`t let them in.

Like i said...i`m sure you will receive notification before you hear from the baliffs....I just removed my goods, as a precaution, spo that if a baliff did get in, there would be nothing worth taking!...it`s not illegal to do this.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  21:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,

You might find this link useful:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/
ManagingDebt/DebtsAndArrears/DG_10034289

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  22:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I just point out that while it may not be illegal to remove your goods before the bailiffs arrive, if you go BR you MUST declare any assets to the OR.

Go to Top of Page

memphisd56

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  22:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn`t have thought that the O.R would be interested in 3 piece suites, or televisions under £1000....stuff that baliffs would whisk away in a jiffy..

Your right of course about cars e.t.c, as the O.R can trace those....that is, unless you removed them from being in your name for a year before declaring. Yes...i`ve bent the rules, but not broken any!!
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  22:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't having a dig Memphis, I just wanted to make it clear that it's not worth hiding anything from the OR as if they find out life could become very difficult! I agree, the OR wouldn't be interested in most household goods, but someone might think it's ok to hide the 60" plasma TV they bought on credit a couple of months ago!

Go to Top of Page

stressedoutsteve
Starting Member

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2009 :  22:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys. Really usefull advice.I live as tenant in house where all goods, tvs,stereos etc belong to ownwer of propety so nothing except few books and dvds are mine. Iwalked away from a marriage with just a suitcase so apart from car on hp no possesions to seize.(apart from half share in house abroad0 I hope I am right in assumption that baliffs have to proove that anything they seize belongs to me and noone else? Can anyone advise? thanks for web link, great forum> steve
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page