Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Leaving the UK
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandman6
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 29 April 2009 :  14:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, newbie here asking for some advice.

I have approx £45K of debts, owing to credit card companies and loans. I've been living abroad for most of the past 10 years and don't pay tax in the UK.
I'm married to a non-EU foreign national who doesn't like the UK and wants us to move abroad permanently.
Neither of us has any property or assets worth more than a few hundred pounds in the UK.

My question is: What is likely to happen if I just pack my bags and leave the UK for good?

Thanks

paulsc

289 Posts

Posted - 29 April 2009 :  15:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
probably get a sun tan. legally i dont know but if you have no contact for 6yrs then debts are written off inless they issue a ccj

Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 29 April 2009 :  15:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending upon where you move to the creditors will catch up to you sooner or later so I would recommend sorting the issue out before you leave permanently.

Having said that if you haven't been resident in the UK within the last 3 years then you may not be able to petition for BR in the UK anyway. You should contact Paul at Reviva UK (http://www.revivauk.com) as they have a lot of experience regarding people declaring BR in the UK when living abroad.
Go to Top of Page

sandman6
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 29 April 2009 :  19:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt if I'll be able to apply for bankruptcy in the UK as I haven't been a permanent resident for 3 years and I don't have a fixed address in UK.

I doubt if anyone's going to be coming out to Nigeria to chase me for money!

All I'm really bothered about is if the UKBA are likely to red flag me at immigration on the one or two times a year that we may return to visit the UK to see family?
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 29 April 2009 :  19:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There shouldn't be any problems coming back into the UK as Customs aren't interested in your credit rating.

It may still be worth having a chat with Reviva but if you have been out of the UK for the last 3 years then you won't be able to apply for bankruptcy here.

As you say, I can't imagine creditors chasing you to Nigeria so you could quite easily disappear provided you never wanted to return permanently to the UK in the future.
Go to Top of Page

sandman6
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 29 April 2009 :  19:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice!

From what I've read, after 6 years the creditors will write off the debt and I end up with a big bad credit rating in the UK?
Go to Top of Page

sandman6
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  23:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please give me a heads-up, anyone....what is likely to happen if I just leave the UK and leave my debts behind me? I'm not trying to be irresponsible, I'd just like to know the options. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

james600
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  08:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the amount that you owe, it is unlikely to be cost effective for your creditors to chase the debt overseas. In any case, they are unlikely to have any jurisdiction in another country. As others have said, the debt will probably be written off after several years and you certainly will have no problems re-entering the country in the meantime, at least in relation to the debt.

Edited by - james600 on 19 September 2009 15:16:03
Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2009 :  17:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The debts are never written off, after 6 years of no contact, this just means that you cannot be taken to court for them, the companies have the right to pursue you for ever (phone calls, letters) but not take you to court
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2009 :  18:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it anything to do with a mortgage, then they have twelve years to pursue you, not 6.

The glimmer gets brighter all the time

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page