Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Letter from OR to my G.P.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2009 :  12:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

I lost my two businesses in May when I declared my BR petition. I had suffered a nervous breakdown with the stress and am still receiving treatment from my G.P. and a consultant psychiatrist. I informed the OR of this at my interview in June.

I had a letter from my G.P. today to say he has received a letter from the OR and needs an appointment - I have made that appointment for next Monday.

For my fellow BRs has anyone else had this and for the experts, is this normal practice?

many thanks, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions..."

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2009 :  12:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I have not heard of this, I too suffered from stress/anxiety/depression with the loss of our house and bankruptcy, etc but my doctor was not contacted.
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2009 :  12:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jane,

I hope that things are better with your health now.

I am a bit concerned and to me, it seems an unusual request - I was seeing my G.P. next week anyway for a review, and will discuss the OR letter with him then - fortunately, I have a good relationship with my GP and his father was BR many years ago!! We laugh at that when I see him as things are very different now for BR`s

regards, Richard

Go to Top of Page

charlie44

231 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2009 :  13:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck on Monday, Richard.
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2009 :  13:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Charlie,

Hope things are OK with you and yours.

regards, Richard

Go to Top of Page

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2009 :  13:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A new one on me Richard - I have never headr of this, and i would wlso question the OR as to why they have taken this step - i would not have thorugh that the OR's powers (which are many!) have the right to break patient confidentiality! It would be okay for the GP to confirm 'I have been treating Mr........for a stress based issue,' but i would ask him to keep the info a to a minimum...
I have had many female clients whose spending has been purely down to the feel good factor due to excessive stres or depression anfd this has been clearly stated as the cause of banruptcy, but they have never gone to the GP to confirm....a complete new one on me, very good that you have such an open relationship with your GP, many people may be appalled that their GP was made aware of thier financial difficuties...dodgy ground if you ask me - I personally would ask, no demand to know why they have contacted my GP!!

Melanie Nicholas
28 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
email me at melanienicholas@jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2009 :  14:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also, don't forget that the OR must have gained your WRITTEN permission to contact your GP if he is asking about medical info. Did he do this? How did the OR know your GP's address?

seems odd
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2009 :  14:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Melanie and Jane

The OR received detils of my GP address and name when I went BR - I have not given any express consent for my G.P. to discose and I will be cautious in what idislosed.As I said, I have very good rapport with my GP -he is my age and we share a number of views on life!

will let you know what the letter says on Monday
regards, Richard

Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2009 :  18:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Usually this would happen where the bankrupt has dislosed that his/her debt was in some way caused by their condition. A very common example of this is bi polar disorder where the NHS specify that one of the symptoms is irresposible spending. Often where the OR is deciding whether to push for a restriction or not a letter from the doctor could be a mittigating factor in favour of not getting one. The OR would consider that they may ask for any information that a third party has relating to the bankrupt as long as it is relevent to the case. It would be up to the doctor how or what they disclose.
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2009 :  19:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks debtinfo,

That is interesting and I appreciate your thoughts - I wonder if you have known others who have had this?

I am being treated for severe depression, following the collapse of my business and am also seeing a consultant psychiatrist - bi - polar has been mentioned en passim, but not formally diagnosed.

I have a very good friend who is bi - polar and he has bouts of deep depression too.

I am seeing my G.P. on Monday and am speaking to his secretary to establish what the OR has requested in the letter to him

Cheers, Richard

Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2009 :  20:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi housing, i used to be an insolvency examiner and have dealt with a number of these cases myself. There have certainly been times when after a dotors report a decision was reached not to pursue a further restriction because it was felt that the bankupt wasnt entirely responsible for their actions. The reason i mention bi-polar is because the NHS specifically mentions the symptom i mentioned. For other conditions it would rest more on the doctors opinion. There have also been times where a doctor has been contacted to do with the bankrupts fitness to participate in the bankruptcy investigation, for instance i know of a couple of cases where due to mental illness it was decided that an interview would either put them under too much stress or that the information (through no fault of lack of willingness) would not be reliable.

I would say though that when i handled cases like this i would ask the bankrupt before contacting the doctor, even if only out of courtesey
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2009 :  20:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks debtinfo

That is useful - I appreciate that - my case is more complex than many - I attempted self harm at the time of my breakdown and the OR is aware of that.

At my interview, the examining officer said I would be discharged automatically and that in his view, the BR was not avoidable - the interview lasted 10 hours! I did break down at one stage in the interview and the examiner was great - really appreciated that.

At times, I wonder how I got into such a mess and I remove myself from the real situation - or that is how it feels.

I have gone from being a very confident self assured person to a person who sometimes feels like a quivering wreck - although academically I am well qualified and intelectually, I feel OK some times, I also feel like a baby on other occasions and, agaim the OR knows that too.

If the reason for the G.P. to respond to the OR, it may be to my advantage for the mental health element to have a high profile? I have not had a BRU mentioned to me at any time and the record ongoing on the IS website says nothing either.

I am a tad worried and will be guided by any who has experience as a BR or as a professional.

Many thanks, Richard

Go to Top of Page

buzzrock

72 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2009 :  10:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard

I just wanted to say I understand your depression, my Dad had a breakdown when I was a child and he suffers with depression and also has OCD.
He controls it now but it never goes away, life can be full of stressful situations, how we deal them varies from person to person.
I know because I have suffered with bouts of depression before and now with all this BR talk etc I realise how much I take after my Dad when I get anxious and worried!

Hope you are fine now

Anyway take care and keep us posted....

*~* I wish I had a magic wand *~*
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 21 October 2009 :  12:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your kind coments and thoughts

regards, Richard

Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2009 :  09:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning all,

Saw my G.P this morning and he showed me the letter from the OR. He said he did not like this type of letter!

He dictated the letter whilst I was there and simply said he has been treating me for depression since March 2008 and that it was related to my financial affairs - He said I hope that assists - he kept it brief for me

I am seeing the OR again on Wednesday - anything more I will update for others who may be in a similar position.

Regards, Richard

Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2009 :  14:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard

Glad that you have a doctor you have a good relationship with.

strange but i actually look at your circumstances as a positive, the OR has taken into account what you are saying, the doctors letter should confirm your personal circumstances, which in turn means they should not impose an order or restrictions on you.

I do so hope that this is the case and you can continue rebuilding your life and confidence

good luck with OR

thinking of you Richard
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page