Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 I was bankrupt in May 08
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sarah.ly
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2009 :  16:18:28  Show Profile  Visit sarah.ly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was bankrupt in May 08 and received early discharge in November 09. I received a letter of release of trustee in Aug 09 and a full breakdown of assets and receipts.
I changed jobs just after becoming bankrupt and therefore the NT tax code changed.
For the tax year 08-09 i had to do a self assessment for my tax return as my expenses were £2526 an tehrefore just over the £2500. It has taken months to get this far and my tax code has changed 6 times becuse of their incompetence and error.
I have just received a letter on Friday saying that I am due a refund of £1352. However i then get a phonecall on Friday afternoon from teh tax office saying they cant send me the postal order as i was bankrupt?
I dont understand, i have been discharged for almonst 1 year, the trustee has been released, the refund is for my travel expenses for 08-09 for my job.
Can they send it to the OR, i thought the matters had been concluded, i feel it would be very unfair as i have paid 40% tax and paid all my own expenses and just trying to claim them back.
please help, will i be able to get the money?

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2009 :  18:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take it you had no IPA? Look on it as a contribution to your debts, you are now debt free so enjoy your new life all money from 2009/10 onwards will be yours.
Go to Top of Page

sarah.ly
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2009 :  18:19:11  Show Profile  Visit sarah.ly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RHB

I take it you had no IPA? Look on it as a contribution to your debts, you are now debt free so enjoy your new life all money from 2009/10 onwards will be yours.

No IPA, i had a breakdown of all my statements and repayments etc back in August. I dont get it, as they have concluded matters and i was discharged a year ago and the trustee has been released how will this go to the OR?
Also as it is for my expenses i have paid basically to to travel around the country doing my job for a year?

I have paid 40% tax on top of this. Does the refund definitely go to them, it was a self assessment as they told me originally to do a p87 expenses form then changed it 6 months later to a self assessment.
Sounds complicated.

Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2009 :  20:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the start of the bankruptcy you will have signed form TNIDIS which stated that any tax refund up to and incuding your current tax year would be paid to the the OR, The release of trustee frm just means that they have dealt with all known assets if others come up they can reopen the case
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page