•Bankruptcy Information Center
•What is Bankruptcy?
•Is Bankruptcy right for me?

•How to declare Bankruptcy?
•What happens to my assets?
•Bankruptcy and credit rating


•Bankruptcy News

Media Room:
•Press releases
•Media Coverage

•About BankruptcyHelp
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forum Questions
 Thinking of moving to Indonesia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2016 :  20:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Stephend70100's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have debts of around £70,000 and a house (rented out) with about £30,000 negative equity. I have recently married an Indonesian national and am thinking of moving over there. If I made myself bankrupt then moved there, would I be able to work without declaring my income to the OR? If I saved some money say £20,000 before I went abroad (by not paying creditors for a few months) to support myself until I could find a job would the OR insist this is repaid?


United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2016 :  20:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome,

You would have to declare income to the OR if you are made BR regardless of where you live. If you are BR then how would you manage to save £20k?

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity. – Ulysses S. Grant

Go to Top of Page

Lisa Thomas
forum expert

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 24 October 2016 :  09:16:53  Show Profile  Visit Lisa Thomas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The £20k savings would be an asset of your BKY estate and would be payable into the estate. The O.R or Trustee might allow you to keep a small amount towards some living costs.

You will also need to declare your income and might have to pay a contribution from any surplus into the BKY estate for 3 years.

Contact me on 01752 786800 or Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06