Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for july
 Frozen bank account
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sue08

United Kingdom
176 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2008 :  22:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I was made bankrupt on the 23rd July and as expected, bank accounts have been frozen. Have a problem with one account though and wondered if anyone could help me with it.
The account was a joint one with my boyfriend of which the bills came out of and we put money in jointly each week to cover these. Didn't use it for anything else and have no debt with this bank. We recently split up just before i went bankrupt and decided to take my name off the joint account.
My name still hasn't been took off though and the account has been frozen as my names still showing on it. The bill's still come out of here until we sort everything out and were both putting money in as usual. I was hoping it would come off and not be frozen. I don't know who my OR is yet so can't contact them.
Is there anyway of getting this unfrozen in any way as bills are due out on the 1st, 3rd and 5th so they will probably not be paid?
Thanks in advance xx

John

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2008 :  22:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The account should have been listed on your SoA as you had only recently removed your name.
It's frozen whilst the OR looks to see if there is an obvious underlying reason why you did this prior to BR. He'll look at the activity but as the account was only for the purpose of paying bills he's not going to find anything untoward.
As this bank is not amongst your creditors they may well "unfreeze" the account once they know the OR is finished looking at it. Firstly, explain to the OR and ask them when they may be looking at the account.
Then ask them to notify the bank when they are satisfied.
There's no guarantee the bank will unfreeze the account and it won't happen overnight I'm afraid.
One of you needs to contact the suppliers / lenders that will not be paid and make alternative arrangements.

Assisting where I can.
Go to Top of Page

sue08

United Kingdom
176 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2008 :  23:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure about getting in touch with the bank but i'll leave it until i've had my interview with the or. Yes its just a bill's account and i listed it on my soa. I will get in touch with the all the bills people to change the dd's tomorrow or pay at post office until its sorted.
Thanks again xx
Go to Top of Page

366 Posts

Posted - 01 August 2008 :  10:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Are you sure that the account is frozen?

I had a joint account with my mother, I put it on the SOA, but they did not include it in the bankruptcy as it was a joint account - so now i am paying back the overdraft on it as otherwise my mother will be liable for this amount.....

Go to Top of Page

sue08

United Kingdom
176 Posts

Posted - 01 August 2008 :  16:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi yes it definately is frozen. I phoned them up before and said it will be unfrozen when the or confirms that its ok. I phoned the insolvency office and spoke to someone who said it shouldn't have been frozen as its a joint account (didn't know that). There sending off a fax to let them know to unfreeze it as they have no interest in it but they don't know how long it will be. I've phoned up the utilities people about the bills and there all fine and sending me payment cards and i've just sorted out a new co-op account to change them to.
Thanks for the replys everyone xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page