Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for june
 My partner has just phoned me in a panic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

nicola123

180 Posts

Posted - 20 June 2008 :  11:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Suzanne. I'm sensing we're really in a pickle now. Does the tax man ever write off a debt? or will my partner have to repay every penny? Do they still send debtors to prison? is it open prison if so? Nicola xx
Go to Top of Page

Suzanne
Average Member

United Kingdom
869 Posts

Posted - 20 June 2008 :  11:37:52  Show Profile  Visit Suzanne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Inland Revenue do recognise IVA's so they must write some debt off, and probably quite a lot in the grand scheme of things.
I don't think prison would be likley for £40k, it's not really that big an amount when you think of other cases that have been in the news.
I do think he should get some good advice sooner rather than later as the Inland Revenue are very pro Bankruptcy and seem to use it to clear cases from their desk periodically.

Suzanne Stocker
Bankruptcy Manager
Jones Giles Ltd
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 20 June 2008 :  11:40:08  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Nicola,

Interestingly enough, HMRC are one of the most cooperative creditors out there. As long as you are talking to them, they will hold off legal action for as long as possible. Brett England of england, Jackman & Spacey does excellent work with HMRC, as does Paul Johns of Reviva. You can contact them through they websites (links on the experts page).

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

nicola123

180 Posts

Posted - 20 June 2008 :  12:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Julian and Suzanne. I'll speak to my partner and get him to do as you suggest. I can't believe the support that i'm getting from you guys - what a wonderful forum. Our stress levels are being severely minimised thanks to your input. Nicola xxxx
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 20 June 2008 :  12:07:58  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad we could help :)

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Go to Top of Page

melanie_giles

1191 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2008 :  00:07:43  Show Profile  Visit melanie_giles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We may be missing the point here. The corporation tax is owed by the company and not your partner personally, and has to be paid by the company. If the company cannot pay, then it may have to cease trading and enter liquidation proceedings. The implication of this will be that your partner will have an unpaid directors loan for the money taken out to fund your house deposit, and the liquidator of the company will need it to be repaid - which puts pressure on your partner personally.

I suggest advice from an insolvency practitioner who can talk to you about the company and your personal affairs would be a sensible first step.

For an informal chat about any financial difficulties, or advice as to the options available, I can be contacted via my website - www.melaniegiles.com
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2008 :  14:22:58  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Melanie,

Thanks for getting us back on topic. It's easy to go off at a tangent when a thread becomes this long!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Go to Top of Page

nicola123

180 Posts

Posted - 29 August 2008 :  18:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update - thanks to your help my partner contacted England, Jackman and Spacey - and feels that the help/assistance they are giving him is great. In the meantime, my partner said he saw on your website templates to show you what to write to your creditors when they start chasing you for money (I appear to have an old debt which I don't know what for and have just received a letter from a company called Lovells who say they purchased the debt from Lloyds). Is there particular wording you should use when asking to see a copy of the original agreement you signed? thanks Nicola :-)
Go to Top of Page

pix1
Average Member

689 Posts

Posted - 30 August 2008 :  10:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

It may be that the letter (it was a letter, not a phone call, wasn't it?) stating that the debt company were going to take your partner to court was simply a threat to induce action on his part. I used to get letter after letter threatening court action and ccj's. i only ended up with one ccj and went BR soon afterwards and the amount concerned was then written off. My guess is that your partner will not be taken to court just yet and that he has time to negotiate a satisfactory monthly sum to pay the creditor - this depends on the debt amount which I don't think you have stated in this thread. Obviously, the lower the amount the less your partner should pay per month. If it is over £750 (min. to make you BR, anyway) but under £5000 I would suggest he sohuld offer no more than £30 per month to be reveiwed at a date in the future.

Debt companies love to put the pressure on and the people who send the letters (if they are not automaitcally generated by computer) are under pressure themseelves to put the debtor under pressure!

I think no BR for your partner and probably no ccj unless he does not set up any kind of payment arrangement (better, by the way, to request a payment booklet or plastic card from the debt collector as this will take a couple of weeks t o send and will not leave you open to bank problems of dd's being missed, etc.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page