Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 housing
 I got a letter from housing officer, HELP Please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 11 February 2010 :  20:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I have just seen the Governments statistics on house re-possessions for the past 12 month - shocking! That is all I can say. It makes me feel so angry - it is the highest figure since 1995 when the Tories were in power and the forecast is that it will be even higher this coming year!

I am actually speechless and saddened at the human tragedy that this recession has brought with it.

There, off my soap box again now, Richard

quote:
Originally posted by Richard P

Onk & housing

some excellant advice here, i think that this is one of the main threads that people are concerned about when faced with BR and options.

thank you both on behalf of the "distant watchers of the site"

is it worth asking Skippy or one of the administrators to put this question in a hot topics area

regards Richard

"Life is generally something that happens elsewhere" (Alan Bennett - author and one of my best heroes!!)
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 11 February 2010 :  20:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again,

I am making myself angry - I enclose below some copy from a trade press news item today:

Thursday, the Council of Mortgage Lenders said the number of houses repossessed by British lenders increased 15% in 2009 to the highest level since 1995. Total number of possessions rose to 46,000 in 2009 from 40,000 in 2008.

However, this was lower the CML's most recent forecast of 48,000 and significantly smaller than the 75,000 forecast at the start of the year.

In the fourth quarter, mortgage lenders took 10,200 properties into possession, down 13% from the third quarter, and 2% smaller than in the the fourth quarter of 2008. This figure reflects the number of possessions taken by first charge lenders on both home-owner and buy-to-let mortgages, the CML added.

"We are not out of the woods yet - 2010 will still be a challenging year for many borrowers, and some households will inevitably find their finances being squeezed if and when interest rates do eventually rise," CML director general Michael Coogan said.

Awful, that is all I can say.

These figures do NOT include repossessions for tenanted properties - they are also up and will not be shown until the end of the financial year and not publicised as the mortgage re-possessions. They will show up in the end of year local authority statistics.

I had thought that the New Labour Government were committed to maintaining sustainable communities - not much evidence there Dr Gordon Brown!

Richard - having a very angry moment!
quote:
Originally posted by Housing

Hello all,

I have just seen the Governments statistics on house re-possessions for the past 12 month - shocking! That is all I can say. It makes me feel so angry - it is the highest figure since 1995 when the Tories were in power and the forecast is that it will be even higher this coming year!

I am actually speechless and saddened at the human tragedy that this recession has brought with it.

There, off my soap box again now, Richard

quote:
Originally posted by Richard P

Onk & housing

some excellant advice here, i think that this is one of the main threads that people are concerned about when faced with BR and options.

thank you both on behalf of the "distant watchers of the site"

is it worth asking Skippy or one of the administrators to put this question in a hot topics area

regards Richard

"Life is generally something that happens elsewhere" (Alan Bennett - author and one of my best heroes!!)

Edited by - Housing on 11 February 2010 20:23:18
Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2010 :  07:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trouble is, property prices rose too quickly & people overstretched themselves. I think longer mortgage terms will probably become the norm now, particularly as the time you spend working increases.
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2010 :  13:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi RHB,

May well be the case... time will tell.

I think irresponsible lending and irresponsible borrowing (by successive governments) has caused the problem.

Longer term mortgages may be a way forward - but, is 25 years not long enough!?

The Governments attempts at Mortgage Rescue has failed as has previous attempts by the Tories in the last recession.

One of our problems in the UK is that we are "obsessed" with home ownership and that was increased enormously with Thatcher and the Right to Buy.

We have seen too many people borrow to buy their home when they really should not have borrowed. Therefore we need a national housing policy that is better equuipped at delivering a more flexible tenure other than the public sector (Councils and RSLs) on one level for the less well off and the private sector rental market with no security and are, often un affordable and therefore not sustainable in the longer term.

It is not a quick fire solution and there is a need for Housing to be much higher on the national Social Policy agends.

That`s it for now!

Richard
quote:
Originally posted by RHB

Trouble is, property prices rose too quickly & people overstretched themselves. I think longer mortgage terms will probably become the norm now, particularly as the time you spend working increases.

Go to Top of Page

ONK

135 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2010 :  21:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey , yes it is very nice to see that you can help someone , like you say not for glory but for satisfaction that expertise or your own bad fortune can be put to the advantage of others.

I sure will keep posting Housing , great experience that we have between us, can be letting it go to waste !

Oh would just like to explain the "ONK" name , well my little boy (who just turned 4) found himself struggling for a word one daywhen referring to something , so he filled the gap with ONK (was one of them Willow Tree ornaments he was holding , the figures carved with no faces), so it kind of just stuck ! ha ha

I am also known as Lyndsey :)

Housing ...... I got an email from CAB re my application for volunteering , was some info re what to expect/what they expect of you.I replied to say i was still interested. It mentioned something bout a selection seminar ............ ?? did you do this , sounds a little scary to me !

Lyndsey
Go to Top of Page

ariel
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2010 :  08:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can find help from local housing authority. Its their duty to give to offer a homeless applicant advice and assistance. Don't despair at this. I hope it will be end in well.

motocross dvd
Go to Top of Page

ONK

135 Posts

Posted - 16 February 2010 :  09:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is what has been discussed here if you refer to the previous posts , by myself and housing who are both from local authority homelessness
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 20 March 2010 :  19:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ONK,

Hope that you and yours are well.

Just browsing and thought I would ask if you started doing the voluntary work yet with the local CAB? If so, how is it going?

Regards, Richard

quote:
Originally posted by ONK

Hey , yes it is very nice to see that you can help someone , like you say not for glory but for satisfaction that expertise or your own bad fortune can be put to the advantage of others.

I sure will keep posting Housing , great experience that we have between us, can be letting it go to waste !

Oh would just like to explain the "ONK" name , well my little boy (who just turned 4) found himself struggling for a word one daywhen referring to something , so he filled the gap with ONK (was one of them Willow Tree ornaments he was holding , the figures carved with no faces), so it kind of just stuck ! ha ha

I am also known as Lyndsey :)

Housing ...... I got an email from CAB re my application for volunteering , was some info re what to expect/what they expect of you.I replied to say i was still interested. It mentioned something bout a selection seminar ............ ?? did you do this , sounds a little scary to me !

Lyndsey

"There are no problems - only solutions"

Edited by - Housing on 20 March 2010 19:28:09
Go to Top of Page

ONK

135 Posts

Posted - 22 March 2010 :  19:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard ,

Well I got called back for a 2nd interview etc which went v.well. Got a call later that day to tell me I had been successfull and wasbooked in innduction for friday gone. However later that day they called me back as they "forgot" to tell me that the help with childcare I was promised was no longer available as they no longer have the funds left. I spoke to tax cred and was unable to claim childcare assistance from them an spoke to the job centre who also politley told me where to go. So unfortunatley i am not in a position to pay for childcare from my limited income in order to give my time up for free.

Called them back and advised them of this. Never mind

Lyndsey xx
Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2010 :  07:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how old your child is, but there is funding at some nurseries, particularly surestart childrens centres for some 2 year olds. If you put that you wanted to volunteer to help with future employment you might well get some. Definitely worth enquiring about.
Go to Top of Page

ONK

135 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2010 :  09:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi RBH , he is in a sure start nursery at the min ( he is 4) anyhow , he is there 15 hours a week (5 mornings) as his free education space that every child over 3 is entitled to. But he is now only there untillll next friday when we move house to another area. I have tried to get him in another nursery from aprill untilll june when they would break up for holidays but everywhere is full. So he wil be home with me until september when he goes into the receptionn class.

So will have a think again when im not going to need to couuugh up for childcare.

Lyndsey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page