Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 I was in an IVA and stopped paying it 8 months ago
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

endisnigh
Starting Member

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2010 :  11:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in an IVA and stopped paying it 8 months ago because i couldnt afford to pay it due to loss of work then dramatic pay drop. I have been told that the IVA people could possibly help me complete the forms etc is this true??

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2010 :  12:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are these the BR forms? If so they may be able to help but most companies charge a fee for this. Although the forms look quite daunting they are pretty simple to complete and you can always ask for assistance on this forum regarding certain sections.

You will normally need the certificate from your IP confirming that the IVA has failed before you are able to declare BR so if you don't have this you should contact your IP.
Go to Top of Page

endisnigh
Starting Member

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2010 :  12:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you I went to see a solicitor but she was very basic with her advice do i need to get anything else from the IVA company?? x
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2010 :  15:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, just the certificate showing the IVA has failed. Once you have this you can declare BR. Take the certificate with you yo court when you petition as some courts want to see it.
Go to Top of Page

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2010 :  15:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing you need from your IP is a 'certificate of failure' you cannot file for bankruptcy without this. Your local Citizens Advice Bureau will help you with the forms for free - and is worth considering. We are also all here to help!

Melanie Nicholas
29 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
email me at melanienicholas@jonesgiles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2010 :  16:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

You will need the certificate of failure from your IP.

You can then file for BR if you have decided it is the right decision and you have sought advice that confirms the option.

As Melanie has said the CAB will be able to assist you. However, the forms are not too daunting and this forum is good.

There are insolvency experts on the left hand side of the page.

Happy to assist with any questions about "housing issues"

Good luck, Richard

"Life is generally something that happens elsewhere" (Alan Bennett - author and one of my best heroes!!)
Go to Top of Page

endisnigh
Starting Member

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2010 :  18:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried getting an appointment at the CAB but no appointments this week, i went to see a solicitor but im still none the wiser. I have filed out some of the basic questions but the IVA company seem to be dragging their heals in providing me with the details. Im so scared of getting it all wrong then having a terrible effect on me and little boy x
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2010 :  20:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by endisnigh

I have tried getting an appointment at the CAB but no appointments this week, i went to see a solicitor but im still none the wiser. I have filed out some of the basic questions but the IVA company seem to be dragging their heals in providing me with the details. Im so scared of getting it all wrong then having a terrible effect on me and little boy x

Hi again,

I know from my own experience that the CAB nationally is very very busy - I work as a volunteer in the middle or rural Devon and we are awash with clients with money problems - not all BR - maybe make an appointment - you may have to wait a week or so - that should not make any difference at the moment.

Lots of solicitors are phased by debt problems - you will have to search for one that really understands - I do not say they are not worth using, but maybe not the first call

Have you touched base with Paul from Reviva or Melanise from Jones Giles?

They are good. There are other experst on the left hand side to as well as the really good people that post here not as "experts" but by offering good advice nevertheless from their experiences

It is evident that the IVA has failed - that should have been established 5 months ago - after you had missed three payments.

You will not get it wrong.

Drop the IP a line to say, please issue the certificate as soon as possible and you need that to be able to move to your next stage which is differeent from an IBVA - give them 7 days... Be assertive and address to the head of the team.

Come back as you need to and share the experiences and I am convinced someone will be there to give you support,

Best regards, Richard (Housing) xx

"Life is generally something that happens elsewhere" (Alan Bennett - author and one of my best heroes!!)

Edited by - Housing on 28 January 2010 20:28:15
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2010 :  06:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by endisnigh

Which questions/sections are you having difficultly with?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page