Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 I was already in about £12K debt from a bank loan,
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stressed Susan
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 08 April 2010 :  18:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was already in about £12K debt from a bank loan, credit cards & an overdraft when I was made redundant. There doesn't seem to be any work around for me & having signed on for Jobseekers, I have looked at my options & the only way out for me is to become Bankrupt now. So with a big breath I am getting organised.

I tried to telephone my local court (Bow) but they are constantly engaged. So the plan is now to go to the court in person & try to make an appointment to petition for Bankcrupcy. I do wonder how people manage to pay the court fees when they are on jobseekers. Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 08 April 2010 :  19:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi have you taken any advice from the debt charities (CAB, CCCS, National Debtline) as if you have little or no assets and low income you may qualify for a DRO instad which is much cheaper
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2010 :  10:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are on jobseekers then you can get a £150 reduction on the BR fees although this still means you need to find £400.

Most people stop paying their creditors but chances are you aren't paying them any way. I would definitely speak to the CAB about your situation. They may know of other ways to assist with the BR fees or you may be eligible for a DRO, which (I think) is only a £90 fee.
Go to Top of Page

Stressed Susan
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 15 April 2010 :  09:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by debtinfo

Hi have you taken any advice from the debt charities (CAB, CCCS, National Debtline) as if you have little or no assets and low income you may qualify for a DRO instad which is much cheaper

Yes, I went to CAB & discussed a DRO. Although it is considerably cheaper to do one, when I start work again it would mean that I would be back to square one having to pay creditors. So BR is the best option for me. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Susan R Edmonds
Go to Top of Page

Stressed Susan
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 15 April 2010 :  09:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gettingoutofdebt

If you are on jobseekers then you can get a £150 reduction on the BR fees although this still means you need to find £400.

Most people stop paying their creditors but chances are you aren't paying them any way. I would definitely speak to the CAB about your situation. They may know of other ways to assist with the BR fees or you may be eligible for a DRO, which (I think) is only a £90 fee.

To complicate matters I have just been signed off sick by my doctor. So I'm no longer on Jobseekers. Although I have completed the application for sick Benefit, it isn't confirmed on paper yet. I have been told that it can take up to six weeks to process. So I can't use that as a reason for reduction in BR fees, as you have to provide proof. I'm a bit on limbo really.

Thanks for your reply to my question.

Susan R Edmonds
Go to Top of Page

Bridgewood

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 15 April 2010 :  10:29:20  Show Profile  Visit Bridgewood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Susan

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Just one point though - if I read your original post correctly and Bow County Court is your local Court, I think you will have to file your bankruptcy petition in the High Court so you would be better calling them first - 020 7947 6441 / 6839 / 6078 - although they are often engaged too!

Good Luck

Edited by - Bridgewood on 15 April 2010 10:29:53
Go to Top of Page

Stressed Susan
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 15 April 2010 :  10:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bridgewood

Hi Susan

Just one point though - if I read your original post correctly and Bow County Court is your local Court, I think you will have to file your bankruptcy petition in the High Court so you would be better calling them first - 020 7947 6441 / 6839 / 6078 - although they are often engaged too!

Good Luck

Susan R Edmonds
Go to Top of Page

Stressed Susan
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 15 April 2010 :  10:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bridgewood

Hi Susan

Good Luck

Whoops, my finger slipped..........

You're correct. Although Bow is my nearest, CAB have suggested that I go to the court at the Strand. So that's the plan.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards

Susan R Edmonds
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page