Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 bankruptcy whilst I am out of the UK?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

helen.j
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2010 :  18:00:44  Show Profile  Visit helen.j's Homepage  Reply with Quote
can I begin the process of declaration of bankruptcy whilst I am out of the UK?

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2010 :  18:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends where you are and how long you have been out of the UK
Go to Top of Page

helen.j
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2010 :  18:41:14  Show Profile  Visit helen.j's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm out of the UK until beginning of Aug, since February this year, but I'm concerned that I need to at least start the process before i return.

Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2010 :  18:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no problems on juristiction then, you can have someone represent you in court if you are abroad, obviously this will not come for free, some courts have a waiting list so check with the court local to where you normally live. you can get readdy and fill your forms in and then petition a few months after you get back
Go to Top of Page

helen.j
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2010 :  20:06:15  Show Profile  Visit helen.j's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thank you for the info. i don't actually have a home in the UK at present and i'm having all my mail sent to a family friend (they are then forwarding mail onto me). do you know what I can do in this situation as i don't think they will let me use their address for any court proceedings? also, i know it will cost 600.00 to go bankcrupt but I don't even have that. is there any way of doing this without having to find 600 (i.e. pay it at a later stage, once i'm back on my feet, financially? i guess not.....unless I go on benefits but I'm not in the country to even do that. feels like a rock and a hard place. again, thank you for your help

Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2010 :  20:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im afraid the fee is upfront, although if on certain benefits it will be reduced to £450. As you have little in the way of cash, it looks like you will have to do it when you come back, you will need to settle back here for about 3 or 4 months to be put in the area of your local court
Go to Top of Page

helen.j
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 04 June 2010 :  20:22:39  Show Profile  Visit helen.j's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok.... so in the meantime, i'd better try and keep up with trying to pay my creditors a minimum amount until i can get back and try and get settled somewhere.

I appreciate your advice. thank you

Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2010 :  11:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Helen

I think that whilst you are away from the UK you will have to apply for BR at the high court in London. (little bit more expensive !)

You friend can get a Lasting power of attorney to petition on your behalf.

I dont think that the High court has a appointments system just walk in from the street.

Once you have a court date why continue to pay the minimum amount ? This can be used to help fund your BR fees.

regards Richard
Go to Top of Page

helen.j
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2010 :  13:59:30  Show Profile  Visit helen.j's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks Richard. makes sense. will check it out.

Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2010 :  14:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you need guidance on Lasting power of attorney contact Paul at Reviva, i know he tends to go up to High court and deal with lots of LPA.

May save some of the hastle

regards Richard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page