Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 What happens to a man emotionally when he goes br
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

widemouthfrog
Starting Member

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2010 :  18:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What happens to a man emotionally when he goes bankrupt? My husband is going to file tomorrow and he's saying that the last 30 years have been for nought, I appreciate that he is depressed and confused. I think he partly blames me and his marriage to me for some of the decisions that he has made over the last 6 years. Can someone explain the emotional aspects of what he is going through so I can be helpful rather than fret that our marriage is over as well as everything else.
thanks

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2010 :  11:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI WMF

dont really know what advice to offer.

yes we blokes are special creatures, we like the safety of our caves and when the Sh 1 T really starts flying we dont want to be persued into our caves (man are from mars my wife says good book to understand me).

we had some quite high volume discussions and came very close to going our seperate ways fortuantly father time is a great healer.

I bounced back after about a month, i have two favourite books Rhinosorus sucess and Rich dad poor dad.

yes your thinking and planning becomes very short term focus this may only be me as i still have issues with my employment to resolve.

I know it seems like the end of the world and ultimate failure but look back in history of all the business leaders that have entered into administration or bankruptcy, perhaps even reading one of their Biographies may help.

good luck regards Richard
Go to Top of Page

widemouthfrog
Starting Member

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2010 :  18:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Richard. I think that you are right I must wait and be patient but it is so hard especially as he has left and now lives 160 miles away in his cave.
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2010 :  14:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should imagine the same as what happens to a woman.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 11 June 2010 :  23:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Without trying to act as a psychologist... I would say depression of some sort is almost certain to occur along with guilt and other emotions.

many of us have been there...

I would suggest a visit to the GP - who should be able to assist with some assessment as to mental health needs and how to deal. Believe me, anti depresents are a tonic and whilst none of us want to go down that road, then it will, in all probability, assist.

the GP practice should have a counsellor attached and maybe CBT counselling may assist (talking therapy)

There is also Samaritans - I did some work for them many many years ago when I was at University in the 1970s!

This forum may assist too - by sharing experiences and emotions.

I have been there - I am now no longer BR and have started to rebuild our lives - have an income and it does ease - be strong and give each other support, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions"

Edited by - Housing on 11 June 2010 23:56:29
Go to Top of Page

chester2005
Average Member

United Kingdom
786 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2010 :  11:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
depression guilt and other emotions are very individual subjective things, circumstances and the individual will dictate whether you should feel guilty for example.
Realising that you need to do something and accepting it is going to be BR are the first steps towards becoming debt free and losing the stress and worries that accompany debt.
Knowing that there is an answer to the problem and it is not all doom and gloom shold help anyone see BR is not as bad as a lot of peoplle think, it is very suitable for a lot of people and not eally something to feel guilty about.
Sh1t happens and you have to move on BR helps that happen with some consequences but it is a legal means to become debt free much like the TV companies promote IVAs as being a legal means to reduce your debts.
Just my twopenneth :o)

Dave

Don't worry or know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.(Baz Lurhman)
RevivaUK and Paul Johns helped me through it all i can't recommend them enough!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page