Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 credit report after discharge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

debtrider

494 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2010 :  14:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was discharged from bankruptcy In October 2009. I decided in february to join Experian to see my credit report and it still shows outstanding balances with some of my creditors. I understand that the default will stay there for 6 years, but should it show as satisfied rather than an outstanding balance. Some of the creditors show as satisfied some not.

I have phoned Experian a few times over the last few months to cancel my subscription and they persuaded me to stay with and said they would do something about this situation but nothing as changed.They even refunded one months subscription last month because nothing had happened.

I phoned experian again this morning to cancel my subscription and the lady said the I need a discharge letter to send to my creditors to make them aware of my discharge. I do not altogether disagree with this suggestion. What she also said was if I did not do this then the creditors with the outstanding balance could send me CCJ's after 6 years to recover the money, is this right?, I did get a little annoyed with this lady when she said this because I thought she was wrong.

First thing is all my creditors know the I was bankrupt. So why have some of them against the defaults say satisfied and some of them still showing an outstanding balance. If you ask me these creditors still showing and outstanding balance are just being a nuisance, and I wonder whether getting a discharge certificate and sending it to them will make any difference.

I am reluctant to have to pay for a discharge certificate if it serves no purpose. I also see no point of paying for a monthly subscription to experian, if it's not going to make any difference to my credit report.

So just to repeat myself can the creditors still showing an outstanding balance and were included in my bankrupcty, still chase me for money in time to come?. I am still recieving statements from bank of scotland showing an outstanding balance, why are they doing this?.

I thought all debts included the bankrupcty were cleared and you could start afresh again. I am wondering whether this is correct?

debtrider

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2010 :  14:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't bother with a monthly subscription tbh. I think if you have shown your creditors your discharge cert, you could then complain about any failure on their part to clean up your entries.
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2010 :  14:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard of debts being sold on in error and people being chased for payment by the new 'owner'. There is nothing that they can do as the debt was included in BR, but I wouldn't want the hassle of having to argue with them.

Did you print off a copy of the insolvency register showing that you are discharged? If so you can send this to the data controller at each of your creditors and ask them to update your file. There is a copy of the letter that I sent to my creditors in my blog.

If once you've done this your creditors don't update the records you can then refer them to the Information Commissioner who can force them to comply.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

35 IPA payments made, 1 to go - 19 days and counting!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page