Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 hi i have recieved a b136 notice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mick g
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 25 June 2010 :  21:41:09  Show Profile  Visit mick g's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi i have recieved a b136 notice of an application to register a restriction against the land. i am in joint ownership of the house. the final order court date is 12 july. so filled out all the paperwork to go bankrupt and phoned nottingham crown court to be told the earliest date i could have was 23 july. i asked if i could apply to another court but she said no. is there anything i can do to either stop this order or ask the court manager if there is anything i can do to get my bankruptcy through in time. if it does go through, my house i believe is in negative equity so woukd we be able to use the low conveyancing scheme? does it mean basically, until i pay them all their money back we cant sell the property? many thanks mick g

Housing

United Kingdom
1399 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2010 :  08:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Mick,

This may assist - I think you need to consult a conveyancing solicitor:The Law of Property Act 1925 and effective service of Notices of Assignment

I am aware that a number of consumer action groups are advising consumers to apply for default judgments, obtained against them by lenders for failure to make repayments, to be set aside on the basis that notice of assignment of the mortgage has not been served correctly. This is relevant where, for example, a lender has purchased a mortgage loan book and so was not the original party to the mortgage contract. If argued successfully this would mean that the assignee lender had no right to bring an action in the first place.

Law of Property Act 1925

Under section 136 of the Law Property Act 1925 (“LPA 1925”) notice of assignment must be given to the other party to a contract (i.e. the borrower) expressly in writing. There is no prescribed time limit for giving notice but the assignment is only legally valid when the borrower receives the notice.

Until proper notice is given, only an equitable assignment has taken place. An equitable assignment differs from a legal assignment in that where there is a legal assignment the assignee can bring an action (e.g. for recovery of a debt) in its own name against the borrower. On an equitable assignment the assignee would need to join the assignor as a party to the action before an action could be brought against the borrower. Alternatively, notice would have to be served in the correct manner before an action could be brought in the assignee’s name.

Section 136 LPA 1925 is silent as to how the notice should be served. The default statutory provision is found under section 196 LPA 1925. It provides that if notice is given to the other party by registered letter and is not returned undelivered, it will have been deemed to have been served. This means that whilst notice may be given expressly in writing, it will not be deemed served unless it has been sent by registered post.

Section 196 LPA 1925 refers to “registered letter”. The postal service “registered post” no longer exists. Instead, a notice should now be sent either as first class post with a certificate of posting (available through Royal Mail) or by recorded delivery; under the Recorded Delivery Act 1962 any notice which is deemed served by registered post will also be deemed served if sent by recorded delivery.

Section 196 (5) also states that its provisions extend to notices required to be served unless a contrary intention appears. In other words, if there is an express clause in the contract (which would include a lender’s mortgage conditions) that stipulates how any notices necessary under the contract are to be served, that will take precedence over the statutory provision in section 196.

Conclusion

If the mortgage conditions are silent as to how notice should be served, the provisions of the LPA 1925 will prevail. Express notice, in writing, must be given to the borrower and either delivery evidenced (by Affidavit of Service) or sent by registered letter, and not returned, in order to be validly served in accordance with section 196 LPA 1925. If this is not done, the borrower could argue that they did not receive the notice and that the assignee has no right to bring an action against the borrower in its sole name.

If, however, the mortgage conditions provide that notice is to be given by other means, e.g. by normal post, then so long as the method prescribed in the mortgage conditions has been followed, the notice will have been validly served.

A successful argument by a borrower that a notice of assignment has not been validly served does not give a total defence to that borrower and render the sums being claimed by the lender irrecoverable. The lender would, however, have to serve a notice of assignment on the borrower in using the correct method and then recommence litigation, thus incurring extra expense. Alternatively, the assignee will need to join the original lender into the action. Even if this is possible and the original lender consents, it will again incur extra expense

Mortgage lenders should ensure that their mortgage conditions include a clause which varies the provisions of Section 196 LPA 1925 and that they follow the prescribed method of service to ensure that borrowers cannot use this to delay and increase the costs of recovery litigation

Regards, Richard

"There are no problems - only solutions"
Go to Top of Page

michael3138
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2010 :  11:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi richard

thanks very much for your reply. i think i understood most of it. i have spoken to a solicitor this morning and it doesnt look good for me. as i asked above is there any way i can get my bankruptcy through the courts before the b136 order is put on our house? would speaking to the courts manager help? why cant i use another court? this order basically means my wife and i have to stay in the house paying the mortgage for the next twelve years until the 27 thou has been paid back. this is ridiculous i am going bankrupt because cant afford to pay the debt
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2010 :  17:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you both going bankrupt or just you, is the debt in both names or just yours
Go to Top of Page

a.s
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2010 :  11:06:53  Show Profile  Visit a.s's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If what your talking about is a charging order, then I also had one! went to court myself with no solicitor and won! Take with you any other debts you have and challenge the fact that if they had a charging order it would make them preferential creditor! I looked it up on the internet and it was that easy! that should stall them till you go bankrupt! incidently it was a solicitors firm why tried to place the charging order on my property so were gob smacked I knew that loophole! good luck

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page