Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Increase in car insurance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spices100

67 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2010 :  19:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my car insurance is up for renewal and been on comfused .com for quotes and its been really expensive this year round. would being bankrupt had anything to do with it, the online quotes didnt ask about bankruptcy.

I recently got my credit files and noticed confused did credit checks on me although i was doing just general quotes.

Bankruptcy is a more risk factor for car insurance which i would be paying in full ?

Edited by - spices100 on 24 August 2010 19:05:33

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 24 August 2010 :  22:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not a normal credit check when you do that, they're just checking your address details. It doesn't show up either if anyone else does a credit check.

I think everyones insurance has gone up this year.

Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cos Kansas is going bye bye.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2010 :  07:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some car insurance policies do have a BR clause. I can't see a valid reason why someone who is/was BR should be more of a liability to an insurance company but I suppose it is just an excuse for them to raise the premium.

I think most premiums are higher due to the 'crash for cash' people around (i.e. those who deliberately cause an accident by braking very hard so that someone crashes into the back of them) as there was a report on the BBC about this the other day.

TBH I think my car insurance premiums have been the same for the past 5 years even though my NCD has increased and I haven't made any claims during that time. I've pretty much given up on my premium ever going down
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2010 :  10:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

I currently have car insurance with Elephant.com and have been paying monthly instalments for years, even while I was bankrupt and without any problems or higher charges. I have now had to scrap my car, but I wondered if I cancelled the insurance now and then decided to take it up again when I get a new car, will they reaccess my application and do a credit check and will I be liable to higher charges because I have been bankrupt (I am now discharged by the way). If this is the case, would it be easier to keep my insurance payments going even though I don't still have the car?

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2010 :  16:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the wording on insurance policies is definitely left open to interpretation. You never know, there may be someone on this forum who does/has worked for an insurance company and may be able to provide an better insight as to whether you would be covered or not.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page