Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 bankruptcy postbag for june
 I am Bankrupt but more advice needed, Please!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

applebabe

United Kingdom
243 Posts

Posted - 05 June 2008 :  21:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone who helped calm me down prior to my bankruptcy, too many to mention but you know who you are!
Ok didn't sleep a wink last night got up at 5am the guy who sent me the forms at the court said you must be here before 9am, so off I went to get the bus and then the train and arrived at court at 8.20am first one there!
Waited a while then eventually someone asked if I was there for insolvency I said yes and she said oh, well they dont open until 10am!!
Ok I thought I will be first, no wrong when the doors opened two big guys who had only been there 15 mins pushed in front of me and I thought oh great start
I wasn't going to argue didn't have the energy
Then when I got to the counter she said I had to go to the other side of the building to get a form I needed which hadn't been sent in my papers, so off I went anyway to cut a long story short I actually went in to see the lady judge at 12.30.
She was amazing so sweet and understanding and said "today may seem like the worst day of your life but it isn't it is the first step to a brand new enjoyable debt free life" and I thought wow!
Then I had to go back to the waiting room and wait again.
The lady came out and gave me my papers in a sealed envelope and sent me off to see my insolvency officer, who was also really nice, she is going to write to me in the next few weeks and my interview will be over the phone, but in the meantime she said ANY problems do not hesitate to ring her and she will sort it out.
She offered to speak to my bank and let me keep my account but to be honest my bank have treated me very badly over the last few months I have been with them for 20 years and they did not seem to want to keep my custom so I said no its ok, she then suggested the co-op account which I am going to do tomorrow.
So all in all it was a stressful day but very productive, and very eye opening
So first part over now just the dreaded interview
Thanks everyone,
Maxine x

Edited by - applebabe on 07 June 2008 15:55:58

abd

284 Posts

Posted - 05 June 2008 :  22:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Maxine, all the luck for the coming debt-free coming years and keep the spirit high.
Abd
Go to Top of Page

applebabe

United Kingdom
243 Posts

Posted - 05 June 2008 :  22:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi abd,
Thanks I intend to live my life paying cash for everything and feeling good about it!
The funny thing is I went to a high street store on my way home as I had gift vouchers to use, but still didnt find anything to use them all up still have £20 left for another day!
But the lady in front of me had a handbag in her hand and the lady said do you know how much this is and she said yes, and the lady said oh well thats £130.00 how would you like to pay and she said cash and the girl behind the till looked so shocked!!
I cant wait for that to happen to me :-)
Thanks
Maxine x
Go to Top of Page

abd

284 Posts

Posted - 05 June 2008 :  23:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know what, before credit cards and checks ,I think we people used to have more respect for money
and we sensed the real value of it.Remember in the historic films the scene of someone biting on the gold coin to establish if it is gold.we touch, smell, taste and look at our money,we did not give it out so easy,unfortunately we have lost that value down the way.hope you earn lots of cash and pay in cash.excuse me Maxine ,Iam in my philosophical mood again as my interview is coming next Tuesday.
Abd
Go to Top of Page

applebabe

United Kingdom
243 Posts

Posted - 05 June 2008 :  23:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,
Oh dont worry I totally agree with you!
We have created a society of greed and haves and have nots, it is very sad :-(
I just wish I had never taken that first credit card it has been a downhill spiral ever since, but believe me it will NEVER lure me again, I am determined to get that look of awe from the girl on the till when I proudly say "its cash" that will give me the strength to carry on being debt free.
I have learned a valuable lesson just sad it wasnt sooner!
OMG now i am rambling, its been a long day
Take care
Maxine x
Go to Top of Page

m and v
Average Member

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2008 :  07:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad it went so well Maxine.
It's so hard to imagine a trip to court could be so "normal" but it is - all the court staff I met were very kind and understanding.
Have fun paying with cash and enjoy every minute of being debt free.

Vicki x
Go to Top of Page

applebabe

United Kingdom
243 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2008 :  07:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks vicki x
I now only have THE interview, but I am happy it is on the phone.
I cant believe I waited so long and worried about it so much ;-)
Thanks again for all you invaluable help, I will probably need your help when nearer the interview lol!
maxine x
Go to Top of Page

m and v
Average Member

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2008 :  07:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maxine - its the least I can do to help others. I have had such great support - it's my chance to give something back.
Glad I am not the only person up at the crack of dawn checking the forum!! It's soooo addictive!
Bet you slept better last night!
Have a good day

Vicki x
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2008 :  10:00:22  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Maxine,

Congratulations and welcome to your new life!

Before my BR, I used to wonder into shops and spend £400 on stuff I didn't need and put it on the plastic. These days, I'll wonder in with £100 in my back pocket, and then wonder out again with the £100 still in my back pocket .... it's a wonderful feeling and will change your life forever!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

bennieblueeyes

211 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2008 :  10:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI abd, I agree with you about credit cards. My problem was the credit card companies ( I had two ) would put money into my account without me asking. Always just before Chrismas, they would send me a letter saying " Congratulations you have just been given more money to spend for Chrismas " As I was struggling to buy things for my children I thought oh well I will only use a bit of it. Ha, as if. There is always something you need.
I feel they should not give you more money unless you ask for it and only then when they re-asses you. I could have phoned them and said please remove it. But they pick the times to give it to you when people are usually under pressure for money. I ended up owing £3000 on each card, this would have taken me 41 years to pay back at minimum payments and then only if I did not use the cards again. Credit cards can be used sensibly but you must have a very strong will. I would never have a credit card again!
Go to Top of Page

JulianDonnelly

United Kingdom
325 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2008 :  12:23:04  Show Profile  Visit JulianDonnelly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know how you feel ....I used to have more plastic than Michael Jackson!

Regards

Julian Donnelly
Spokesperson for www.Bankruptcyhelp.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

applebabe

United Kingdom
243 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2008 :  19:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,
Hi Julian, I like the M. Jackson quote.
I am so much better, but have today hit on a problem, i hope you can advise me.
If you remember when I first came on here I said that I had just started a new job with the Co-Op pharmacy, i am training to be a healthcare assistant and then hopefully a fully qualified dispensing assistant!
I have NOT told them about my bankruptcy, and as far as I am aware I am under no obligation to do so.
But today i took in my partners bank details for my wages to be paid into and My Manager refused point blank and said they would not pay my wages into someone elses bank account.
Now not wanting to rock the boat new job ect, I said that i had asked around and been on the web and most places of work will let you do this for the first month at least until you sort out a bank account, but she was adamant and would not even enquire!
She said to me in front of all my work colleagues "is there a reason why you dont have a bank account?" So thinking on my feet i said that my previous job was weekly pay by cash so never needed one. I feel awful not saying out right the real reason :-( now technically I wasnt lying about my previous work, but i still feel bad, But I do not want to jeopordise my new job.
The other problem is that I need to apply to the Co Op bank for an account so will they ask me if i am working?
My previous job still has not sorted out my P45 yet so could i give that as my job?
Not sure what they will ask if I try to open an account??
Thanks in advance evaryone!
Maxine x
Go to Top of Page

longnose

175 Posts

Posted - 06 June 2008 :  23:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi maxine,congratulations and well done.Try not to worry too much about the interview it really won't be that bad!.

Go to Top of Page

applebabe

United Kingdom
243 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2008 :  02:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi longnose
Thanks, deep down I know thats true but I think I am now just so used to worrying lol!
I dont think its actually sunk in yet.....I am debt free!!!!!
Still pretty worried about losing my new job though :-(
Maxine x

Go to Top of Page

bennieblueeyes

211 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2008 :  09:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Applebabe, Natwest do an account called a STEP account. You can have wages paid in to it and also use it for direct debits. You cannot have an overdraft or a check book. I use mine in stores to pay for goods and on line. If you give the details of account to an employer they have no idea that it is a restricted account. I told Natwest why I was requesting the account and I had no problem with it.
Go to Top of Page

bennieblueeyes

211 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2008 :  09:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry applebabe I meant to say cheque book. ha
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page