Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Part of my debt is to pay off childrens' credit cards
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cojaack
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 20 November 2010 :  00:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 2008 I took out a loan for £18,000 to pay off my children's credit cards. They had both got into unmanagable debt. I told them I did not expect them to repay it. At the time I could afford the repayments, but now I have had to retire through ill health and my income is not enough to keep up the payments, plus I have £20,000 of debts myself. So I am thinking of going bankrupt, but am very worried about what the OR will say. I do not want to get my children into trouble, neither are in a position to repay the debt.
Do I have to tell him that it was my children's credit cards or could I pretend it was my debts. How much would they check ?

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 20 November 2010 :  12:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will need to disclose what the loan was for. The OR will check back through your bank/loan/CC statements and if you say one thing but their investigations show something else then you could end up in trouble.

Complete honesty is always the best policy when dealing with the OR.
Go to Top of Page

crazy mum
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 23 November 2010 :  10:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gettingoutofdebt

You will need to disclose what the loan was for. The OR will check back through your bank/loan/CC statements and if you say one thing but their investigations show something else then you could end up in trouble.

Complete honesty is always the best policy when dealing with the OR.

Thank you
The thing I am worried about is what will happen to them. Will they be forced to find a way to repay the money. Neither has money, my daughter is a final year student and my son earns little.

Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 23 November 2010 :  14:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cojaack / crazy mum

it might be a good time to have a family conflab. get all of this in the air and see what options comes out.

hopefully they do not have any other debts, it may be worth all of you going to CAB together or asking one of the experts to spend time so that your BR if appropriate is thoroughly planned.

Richard

Go to Top of Page

Jane.l
Average Member

511 Posts

Posted - 24 November 2010 :  08:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surely if the debts are in your name, legally they are your debts and you are liable for them,
Go to Top of Page

Bigal4787
forum expert

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2010 :  12:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi cojaak,
your total debts are about £38,000, which in the scheme of things is relatively small from the point of bankruptcy. You obtained a loan in 2008 to help your children out, it didn't go on luxuries (although your childrens debt may have!) so speaking as a former examiner, I wouldn't have seen any problem with that, especially as it appears that you had every expectation of being able to keep up the repayments at the time you took the loan out.

The main cause of your insolvency is loss of income through ill health, you have used credit in the past when you could afford it,and possibly after retiring through ill health to meet day to day living expenses.

This I would expect, is how the OR would view it, with NFI(no further investigation). Remember the main thing here, is that you're in this position through ill health and loss of income. The only thing the OR may comment on, is why you didn't get your children to help with the loan payments.

Big Al
Go to Top of Page

cojaack
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 14 December 2010 :  12:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Big Al
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I felt a lot better after reading your answer especially because you are a former examiner. I am feeling very positive at the moment and have an appointment with the CAB to discuss my options. Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page