Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Bankruptcy friendly bank accounts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

angel220
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2010 :  13:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I am thinking of going bankrupt. Haven't got much to lose except for my debt-free bank accounts with Santander and The Co-op. I am currently on benefits and can't afford to lose both accounts. Which banks or more specifically what type of accounts will not be affected when declaring bankrupt? Until today I really thought that the Smile Bank (the co-op) offered Bankruptcy friendly bank accounts but after reading a couple of posts here, I am not too sure anymore.

Thanks ever so much.

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2010 :  13:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Co-op Cashminder account is a BR friendly account and I believe that Barclays also have a basic account that can be used if you are BR.

If you currently have a non-basic Co-op account then the easiest option may be to change it to a Cashminder account.
Go to Top of Page

angel220
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2010 :  13:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I just ask them to do this over the phone or will I have to go to the branch to do that? And since the account I have is a Smile current account with the COOP, can there be any issues over that?

And if I declare bankrupt before opening a Cashminder account, will the COOP give me the option to transfer my funds from my COOP SMILE account into a Cashminder account?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

gettingoutofdebt
forum expert

2418 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2010 :  13:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be able to do it over the phone. I opened a Cashminder account over the phone so transferring the accounts should be fine. You should do this before declaring BR as once you are BR any non-basic accounts will be automatically closed.

The only problem I can foresee is if you have debts with the Co-op, which are being included in your BR. If so then they may refuse you a Cashminder account but it is better to find this out before you declare BR rather than afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

angel220
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2010 :  14:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any debts with the COOP. But I keep hearing that I shouldn't open a Cashminder until I have declared bankrupt. Let's say I opened one today, declared bankrupt tomorrow, when around should I get my accounts transferred over to the Cashminder account to prevent being snookered?
Should I start the transfer just before declaring bankrupt, just after or after everything's done and dusted and on paper?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah.12

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2010 :  14:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I opened my cashminder account before going BR, I didn't put it on my SOA but when questioned by the court where my money was going, I did tell them and they put it on my forms along with my HSBC a/c... my HSBC account has now been closed (can't get onto internet banking) but the cashminder is still open, the girl I spoke to on the phone at the OR office did say that all they do is send a letter to the banks, and the co-op normally see BR on there and then bin them, they don't take any action, so I personally think you'll be ok opening the account beforehand... Hope this helps :)

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2010 :  15:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the others have said angel220, just phone co-op and ask them to switch you to the cashminder account before you go to court.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

angel220
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2010 :  15:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an overdraft of around £200 on the account which should clear within the week. I called them today anyway. They said it the application came back referred and asked me to phone back in 3 days time. A bit worried about why that is.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah.12

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2010 :  16:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had exactly the same Angel, don't panic, honestly it's fine, it's routine :)

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2010 :  16:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you've got two threads running angel. As Sarah has said, it's quite normal.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

angel220
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2010 :  16:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page