Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 hi, we now have the failed iva notice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Geena
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  13:29:21  Show Profile  Visit Geena's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi, we now have the failed iva notice and we still have not received my husbands severance pay to fund bankruptcy costs. when creditors contact us will it be enough to say we are filing for bankruptcy and stand firm or is it best to find the money from someone else to fund bannkruptcy costs. it is just that if we file now and the severance pay comes before we are dischraged then the monies will go to the receiver (they are due within a month). also can you tell me if put on payment plan and we get a lump sum along the way does the receiver take this too? thanks for any help. really worried about the creditors calling now

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  17:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Geena

welcome to the forum

The creditors will shout, send letters and make phone calls all the time.

If you can hold on till the severeance pay comes through that will save you borrowing more money.

I do not know which area / court you would qualify for ? but some of the courts have a 4 week time delay. so speak to the court as part of your planning.

nothing stopping you going BR at seperate times.

has your IVA provider given you BR advice if not have a chat with one of teh experts to the left just to make certain everything is properly planned.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  17:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geena has also taken advice from the sister forum and has had advice from her IVA provider.

I would hold off until the severance pay comes through. The creditors can't do anything worse than make you bankrupt themselves which would be good as they would have to pay for it.

Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cos Kansas is going bye bye.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Geena
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  18:52:46  Show Profile  Visit Geena's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello kallis :), yes we will hang on for the severance pay and just put up with the constant calls. Richard the iva provider set aside monies to petition, but say they gave it to the creditors and this is on the fail notice. We discussed one of us doing br one doing iva and a a result 13k was offered for 16k which would have been paid over the 5 year term in full and final for one iva . It was was rejected by grant thornton as was an extended term for lesser payments. So br is our only option. At least te receiver cannot say we did not try all avenues.

Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  18:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite agree Geena, nobody can say that you didn't try all avenues.

If you need help off forum with your BR then you know where I am.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Geena
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  18:58:12  Show Profile  Visit Geena's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi, didnt think of that one..going br at seperate times . May think about that, but wont i have to put my partners income on it? if so it will mean i may not be able to keep up the 36months income repayments when he becomes unemployed.
Also our court is a daily service. You just turn up apparently at a certain time. Got the prepaid mastercards ready etc so just waiting now for the severance. Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  19:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck Geena - hope it all works out ok and you know where I am.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Geena
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  20:11:53  Show Profile  Visit Geena's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, any idea what will happen to my 36 months payments when my partner becomes unemployed after receiving the severance pay? Will payments be re calculated by the receiver as if I go on monday I have to put his income on my form. Thanks for any help

Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  20:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The payments into your IVA will have gone to your creditors and to pay the IVA company fees to date.

I believe the severance pay is to help towards your fees? If there is anything left over then I don't know what will happen to that money. I presume your partner will be on benefits.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Geena
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  20:27:53  Show Profile  Visit Geena's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, I mean the 36 months payments the receiver can make you pay in (via your wages. As mine will be calculated with my partners wages on as he will still be working on monday, will the receiver modify the payment in br from my wages when my income goes down when my partner becomes unemployed?

Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  20:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about that Geena. I hope one of the experts can help with that.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Geena
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  21:23:54  Show Profile  Visit Geena's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks ...me too need all the info i can get before i go to court. cant really stand much more of the waiting game.

Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  21:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Geena

I may have missed some of your conversation on IVA forum.

In bankruptcy you and hubby will be treated seperate based on your own circumstances, which is why you may have read on previous threads of some married couples, one receiving early discharge 6 months bankruptcy and end. then the other partner getting an IPA which last for 36 months from the date of agreement.

If you cannot make an agreement to the amount to be paid the OR / trustee can/ will apply for an order.

during the period of bankruptcy and the IPA/IPO you are duty bound to inform the OR of changes in your income AND expenditure but most only inform them about income changes... why ?

re your comment Richard the iva provider set aside monies to petition, but say they gave it to the creditors . WOW ill pass on comment

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  21:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would depend upon the individual proposal but I would have thought that if the money was earmarked for BR then that is what it should be used for.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Geena
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  22:00:26  Show Profile  Visit Geena's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Richard . That explains everyting. I may just get it over with now on monday. My husband can come in support as i am dreading the process and he can wait to file for his br after severance pay. I know i may not have to see the judge, still scary

Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 25 February 2011 :  22:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck Geena, I know it's scary but the thought of going BR is worse than actually doing it x

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 - it's over at last!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page