Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Myself and my husband are looking at declaring BR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pauline
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01 April 2011 :  19:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Myself and my husband are looking at declaring Bankruptcy and we have contacted some debt advice companies and they want to charge us £600 each. A friend told me that you can save these costs and do it independantly as the companies are just trying to make money from you. Can anyone advise please?

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 01 April 2011 :  19:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Bankruptcy costs are £625 pounds payable to the court.

You can do it yourself for the above costs. The forms are available online to fill in and print off and the forum is here if you have problems.

You do not have to pay anyone anything to do this.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

harryboy
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 01 April 2011 :  20:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever you do, do NOT use a company. I was on the verge of using one to complete my paperwork and put everything in place to take to court. In the end im so glad i did not pay them the money because the paperwork is pretty simple to fill in and the promises they gave me with regards the BR were just lies and would not have happened. So save your money and just pay the court fees which for me were £600 per person. Me and my wife £1200 in total.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 01 April 2011 :  20:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you were able to sort it out yourself harryboy - I would always recommend that if you are able. The court fees are enough to cripple you in the first place without paying extra to another firm.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

Richard P

United Kingdom
1701 Posts

Posted - 01 April 2011 :  20:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI HB / PAULINE

I think that is unfair to categorically say do not use a company.

If your BR is straight forward then yes petition yourself (many do) but some cases are not straight forward.

as we have seen on many threads the after effects of a badly planned bankruptcy petition can go on for a long time.

my advice would always be to consult a company in the industry (yes you will find good and bad) take the information you need and if you still would like guidance, support and the offer of help then use that company.

I used the services of my expert for over 2 years, it was not just the court day, it was the advanced planning, Making certain that my home was safe, the hand holding, the joint attendance at court, the face to face interview. My relationship is ongoing.

Good Luck Richard,
Go to Top of Page

kentmikey

61 Posts

Posted - 03 April 2011 :  20:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are going BR and just waiting for the IVA failure notice to be received and then we are submitting the forms ourselves as we just dont have the additional money to pay for a third party to submit them for us. I am just grateful to have found this site and have communication with like minded people and the professionals.
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 04 April 2011 :  10:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's each to their own - personally I didn't use a company as I didn't want to pay any more than the BR fees. Some people's case are complex and may need the help of an expert, in which case I would say choose a company very carefully - speak to 2 or 3 and don't necessarily go with the first company that you speak to.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 - it's over at last!
Go to Top of Page

pauline
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 04 April 2011 :  10:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone ....so glad i found this website as i was feeling very isolated and didnt know how to start.
I appreicate that most of you have said its best to not go with a company but my case will involve trying to save my house (even though i dont have any equity in it)and some large amounts of debts so will be very complicated. I have only approached one company and might be best if i contact a few others and then make a decision....

once again thanks for everyones advice x

new on this forum and need help please
Go to Top of Page

janie40
Starting Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 04 April 2011 :  11:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pauline, try contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau they are very helpful and can help you fill the forms out for free.

janie
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 04 April 2011 :  11:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said it's each to their own and you need to do what's right for you Pauline. It's definitely a good idea to speak to more than one company though as if you are going to be paying them for a service you need to feel comfortable with them, and with the fact that they will be acting in your best interests.

Good luck x

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 - it's over at last!
Go to Top of Page

glafy
forum expert

436 Posts

Posted - 04 April 2011 :  12:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pauline.
We too used a company for our BR as we felt we needed the guidance from day 1 and continuing through our BR year.
We are so pleased that we did as having that person on the end of the phone, or by our side, to answer the hundreds of questions that we have has been invaluable to us.
It definately is a personal choice and the advice given on this Forum will help if you wish to complete BR on your own.
Have you contacted any of the experts from the link on the left hand of this page? If not, give them a call & see how you feel. There will be no obligation and I do think you will feel so much better whichever route you choose.
Good Luck with whatever route you choose & keep us updated.

"Good things come to those who wait".....I'm a patient person but this is taking the Mickey!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page