Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Thinking of living with bf...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Essie

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2011 :  21:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi all,

Please can you help me with a question....

I'm thinking of maybe moving in with my bf.

What are the rules regarding food shopping? How much is it for one person and how much is allowed for two? He isn't BR so br it doesn't matter what he spends does it? I wasn't sure how the OR calculates these things when there are two people (one BR, one not).

Also... the bf has x2 children. Can this be taken into account? or does he have to pay for their food?? I'm confused and need help!!

Many thanks

E

Finally got head out of sand in October 2010
BR March 2011

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2011 :  22:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically you will do a new income and expenditure including the whole of the new family, all their household expenses (things like rent food etc) then on top of that you put any expenditure that is only personal to you, say for instance you had a college course.

In terms of income you put all yours down and then a contribution from him, His contribution should be proportionate to your relative incomes. So say he earned 60% of the total income he would expect to pay 60% of the outgoinds and that would be how much his contribution would be and visa versa if you earn more than him etc etc
Go to Top of Page

Essie

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2011 :  22:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Debtinfo. He has to pay a lot to the CSA and maintenance to his ex (approx 30% of his wages) - is this taken into account when they work out the proportions? he wouldn't be able to contribute as much as he could because of this. I don't want to be penalised because of he is being beaten up financially by his ex.

BR March 2011
Go to Top of Page

Essie

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2011 :  22:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I meant to say, they will allow me to contribute to the food etc for the children even though they are not mine?

BR March 2011
Go to Top of Page

Essie

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2011 :  22:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also!! I'm so sorry, what are the allowances etc per adult and per child?

BR March 2011
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 20 June 2011 :  19:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes they will allow all reasonable expenses for everyone living in the household

There is no such thing as an allowance, whilst there are some guidelines for the OR you should put down what it will actually cost for all of the households expenses
Go to Top of Page

Bigal4787
forum expert

United Kingdom
641 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2011 :  23:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
The following is a link to the HES(household expenditure survey) that examiners use when assessing I&E, it's fairly self explanatory, you'll need MS Excel to open it:

http://insolvency.gov.uk/DocumentLibrary/Policy/Excel/Household%20Expenditur.xls

Big Al
Insolvency examiner with the Insolvency service from April 2008 - July 2010.

If you need help completing SOA's(statement of affairs) or PIQ's(preliminary information questionnaire) if you've been declared bankrupt, or anything else and you're within 30 miles or so of Warrington, then please contact me via my contact details in the expert page for futher details"
Go to Top of Page

Essie

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 22 June 2011 :  00:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I'll go take a look.

Does anyone know my bf's Csa payments are taken into account when working out his actual salary? The Csa is crippling him ATM and if I told him he had to pay a greater proportion towards the bills than I do he Just won't b able to afford it.

Thanks again.

BR March 2011
Go to Top of Page

RHB

1159 Posts

Posted - 22 June 2011 :  14:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The CSA shouldn't be crippling him as the maximum he would be paying is 25% of his net wage if he has 3 or more children & less if he doesn't. Bills should really be proportionate to income, your creditors won't want to be subsidising him if you move in, but in all probability it should mean you would have more disposable income.
Go to Top of Page

Alina Pietrzyk
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2011 :  13:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RHB

The CSA shouldn't be crippling him as the maximum he would be paying is 25% of his net wage if he has 3 or more children & less if he doesn't. Bills should really be proportionate to income, your creditors won't want to be subsidising him if you move in, but in all probability it should mean you would have more disposable income.

This doesn't sound too helpful. What control can a bankrupt have over a bf and hs expenditure? It is her bankruptcy not his. If my partner is a heavy smoker and drinker (alcoholic) and the OR says I must pay £ x a month disregarding my partner's actual contribtion to household expenses, how am I to pay the Income Payment Areement?

Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2011 :  13:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone who is BR cannot have any control over their partner's expenditure. However it's not unreasonable to expect the partner to pay their fair share towards the household expenditure.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 - it's over at last!
Go to Top of Page

Alina Pietrzyk
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2011 :  14:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Traceyjr

Someone who is BR cannot have any control over their partner's expenditure. However it's not unreasonable to expect the partner to pay their fair share towards the household expenditure.

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

But what if they do pay their "fair share", as you call it, it's the disposable income that I am talking about. It might look on paper like a bf has hundreds of pounds of spare money each month, but if £250 goes on fags, another few hundred on cider how is this fair to the bankrupt partner?
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2011 :  14:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I went BR I wasn't asked for details of my partner's DI, only what he was contributing to the household expenditure. What the non BR partner does with their DI is down to them.

Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2011 :  15:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alina,

As the others have said, the non bankrupt partner needs to be paying his/her fair share but can do what they want with the rest of their money.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Alina Pietrzyk
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2011 :  16:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Viki.W

Hi Alina,

As the others have said, the non bankrupt partner needs to be paying his/her fair share but can do what they want with the rest of their money.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/

OK thanks that's quite reassuring. But what if all the debts are in my name and my longterm partner has been as responsible as I have been for running them up over (literally) decades, are you saying the OR will not ask questions along those lines?

Can I lie and say "Oh no, I ran all the debt up myself, they are all only in my name and my partner cannot be held liable for them, I am the one going bankrupt, not him?!"

I thought I read somewhere that the powers that be will look into whether your partner had some responsibility for the debt even though they are all in my name. For instance I got a loan to pay off a gambling debt and I got another to offer a one-off final payment to A**** Nat***** when through his financial mismanagement our house was repossessed in 1997?

I begged him to let me take on the mortgage repayments at that time and he woke me up one morning to tell me we had lost the house.

That is all past history. Water under the bridge. BUT it's those kinds of problems that led to one debt after another, and my patching things up over the years, messily, but until recently just about affordably.

Of course it had to be in my name - he always claimed (perhaps correctly) that he would never get credit (even when it was more readily available).

On the up side we have not used the credit cards for 18 months, but a small inheritance kept us shored up for some of that time and is now all spent (mostly on booze).

Edited by - Alina Pietrzyk on 23 June 2011 16:24:38
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2011 :  16:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately if the debts are in your name then you are liable, not your partner, even if he was partly responsible for running up the debts.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page