Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Can we declare ourselves bankrupt in the UK from Australia ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarah.80
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2011 :  07:33:01  Show Profile  Visit Sarah.80's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we recently moved to Australia with every intension of still repaying our UK Debt and we did it for the firs yr but at the start of this year we started to struggle as we are both on less money here than we were in the UK plus with the exchange rate we pay are paying more off ultimately. We contacted the bank to try and renegotiate our loans but thye wouldnt help and were really difficult saying we had to come in to a branch!!!! Or we had 21 days to sign new contracts and send them back to them but they would not send them direct to us they would only send to my husbands parents who inturn would them send them on to us and we would sign and send back all within 21 days, it just wasnt going to happen. The bank advised that we dont pay and get into arrears and then we will be able to renegiotiate our repayments. We have no been contacted but still very aware are repayments will be a struggle too meet. Can we declaire ourselves bankrupt in the UK from Australia do you know?

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2011 :  07:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome.

As long as you have not been away from the country for more than three years you should be able to do so.

As you obviously aren't in a position to come back and do it yourself, you can either get a solicitor to do it or your parents in law could sort it. It has to be done at the High Court and is more expensive than normal bankruptcy but I've no idea on the costs. Hopefully one of the experts can help with that.

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 28 June 2011 :  15:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best solution to your probloms is to appoint a 'Power of Attourney' to apply for the bankruptcy on your behalf.

I personally do not do this service, but I can if you contact me direct (via experts page)I can provide you with details of a company that provide this service

Regards

Melanie

Melanie Nicholas
30 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page