Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bankruptcy News
 bankruptcy news
 going under fast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kerstin
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 12 July 2011 :  17:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I've spent hours reading through your posts and I am amazed at the unbiast advice given.
So, here's my story:
I seperated from my husband in January 2007 and after a difficult year with ill health lost my job in July 2008. I took time out to re-evaluate my situation and opted for a career change (bad mistake!) and "wasted" roughly a year in college.
With careful budgeting my "income" (JSA, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit) I was able to pay the usual household bills like Gas, Electricity (I'm on prepayment meters), Telephone etc. Needless to say, there's no money left over for luxuries (I havn't seen a hairdresser in two years )and it is degrading to be on benefits. I have worked all my adult life and to be in a position where I have to rely on benefits is utterly soul distroying.
I have now the added problem that my son has left college and therefore I am not able to claim Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit (my son is not in employment, he is 17, therefore cannot claim any benefits as he is living with me but is waiting to hear about an apprenticeship position) and that the only income will be my JSA of £67 a week. My ex has decided to take the "easy" way out and he does not contribute in any way.
My debts total £30k (6 creditors) and most the debt was taken out to support my ex self-employment (once again, bad mistake!).
Due to my credit rating (3 CCJs in place) two job offers were withdrawn.
I am at my wits end as I am once again being chased by debt collection agencies (predominantly Buchanan Clarke & Wells) and I have no idea how I am supposed to pay even my ongoing household bills unless I find a job fast.
Would I be elegible for a bankruptcy? And if yes, what documents would I need to provide in support of a bankruptcy petition?
As it stands at the moment, I am not even able to pay the fees mentioned as I am to poor to be poor. Is there any help out there?
Thank you for reading my whining post.

Kerstin Jones

Crazee67

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 12 July 2011 :  23:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi mate
Im so sorry to hear your plight hun but you arent alone on here. Im sure someone will be along very soon with lots of advice and support for you. I myself am at my wits end with our debt situation and am trying desperately, but not very sucessfully, to raise the br fees, it really drags you down doesnt it. (we dont qualify for help towards the fees) I hope you can work things out chick and find a solution to the problems you are faced with. Ooooh and hope you DS gets his apprenticeship too - that will be a major help wont it. Are you getting HB and or CTB??

Mine's a double
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  09:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kerstin, welcome to the forum.

Bankruptcy may be an option, I advise you speak to an expert to get some advice and have all your options explained to you.

You will probably qualify for a reduction in court fees, but the fee would still be £525.
CAB may be able to tell you if you are eligible for any funding for the rest of the fees.

Please keep posting.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

Kerstin
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  10:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your supportive messages.

To Crazee: Yes, I do get HB and CTB and I count myself lucky that I have an amazing (private) landlord who reduced my rent to the level of HB I get. He is not chasing me for the rent arears I have and is very supportive. After reading through some more post I can see that some are worse off than me i.e. in danger of losing their home. I love to move to a smaller place but I can't even afford that .

To Viki.W: Thank you for your advice. I'll be making an appointment with CAB and see what options are open for me.

I just want to start new and not being able to deal with my debts gets me very depressed. I'll have to search around to see if there's anything of value I can sell. I have no assets, I don't have a car, don't own my home and I don't think 3 packets of flower seeds sell for much.
Stories like Kerry Katona get my blood boiling.

Kerstin Jones
Go to Top of Page

Crazee67

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 13 July 2011 :  21:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont get me going about Katona hun!!!! Great you have an understanding Landlord but to be honest most LL's are aware of the benefit changes and reductions in LHA etc so to get rid of someone who would otherwise be a great tenant could cause them more grief in the long run.

Having said that, Its good to feel supported and its one less thing to worry about isnt it. Let i#us know how you get on at cabs hun - I hope it goes ok and you get the information you need to make the right decision for you. You deserve a break !!!!

Although you say some people are worse off than you, that shouldnt trivilise your own problems. They are yours and are huge in your world. Gosh get me....'Mrs put it all into perspective' XXXXX

Mine's a double
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page