Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 archive
 Forum Questions
 Not exactly a debt question but I desperately need advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2011 :  09:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I know this isn't exactly a debt question, but I desperately need advice on this urgent matter and if anyone could help, I would be extremely grateful.
I was discharged from bankruptcy in 2010 and I still have 8 months left in an IPA. In a few days time I will be moving into a new rented property via a well known nationwide letting agents. However I have been informed that the letting agents will arrange for an energy provider, which after doing some research, I have realised are a terrible provider with extortionate tariffs and customers who have issues with their bills (which can be hundreds or thousands of pounds a month) cannot contact this supplier, or they never respond to emails, phone calls, etc. I am currently with a well known energy provider and I wanted to take them with me when I move. Surely the agents cannot force you to go with a provider you are not happy with, can they? What about my freedom to choose. The last thing I want is to get into trouble (through no fault of my own) with an energy provider who, from reading the numerous horror stories from customers, seem only to happy to get debt collectors involved at the merest hint of the customer refusing to pay a bill because it is inaccurate. Me and my partner are becoming ill with worry and if we don't sign the agreement on saturday, we will be homeless. We feel trapped and I couldn't bear to go through another bankruptcy if it came to that. Can anyone please help or advice us please. We are desperate. I have spoken to the letting sgents about my concerns and they do not seem to be very responsive or helpful.

Please help us!

xmasb baby

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2011 :  10:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure, but I would have thought it's down to the landlord as to which energy provider they use as they ultimately own the property.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2011 :  10:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tracey,

But surely even though the landlord owns the property, it is up to the person paying the bills who they decide to use. It's like saying you can only shop at Lidl. I have found out the current tenants are actually with EDF and not this 'rogue' supplier the letting agents are trying to palm us of with, so obviously the landlord isn't bothered or probably even aware of this 'scam' the letting agents are doing for commission. I am hearing reviews of customers being charged over £1000 per month for energy charges, which are absolutely phenomenal. Even when the bills are obviously inaccurate, the providers refuse to deal with your queries and involve the debt collectors if you refuse to pay, even if you have a valid reason with the inaccurate bills. It just sounds a complete nightmare and I am so cautious with my finances now after my bankruptcy, I fear that any dealings with this provider could risk in me becoming financially ruined again and bankrupt for a second time, through no fault of my own. I just don't know what to do.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2011 :  11:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said I'm not sure about how much say the letting agency have. I'm intrigued to know which company they are changing to as I know the energy companies have a bad reputation but I haven't heard of this.

I know you've tried speaking to the letting agency but have you actually gone into the branch to speak to them face to face?

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2011 :  11:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tracey,

I spoke to the letting agents this morning and she understood my concerns and said there shouldn't be a problem really. However, the landlord would need to agree and they will not give us the landlords contact details until we actually sign the tenancy agreement on Saturday. Obviously if we sign the agreement as it stands then we are legally bound to do business with this energy provider, even if the landlord later says we can choose whichever provider we want. I have now written a letter to the letting agents stating that the current tenants are with one of the main energy providers, so obviously this isn't a problem with the landlord. I also mentioned that as the tenancy agreement currently stands, with the clause about utilities and the energy provider concerned, we would not sign the agreement until this clause has been deleted or amemded.

I know I am playing devils advocate and it could all backfire, but I have to try and resolve this issue before committing to anything. The fact that the landlord owns the property surely should have nothing to do with which service provider you choose to take, as it is the tenants who are actually paying the bills and even if the tenant does not pay, this doesn't affect the landlord in any way as the contract is in the tenant's name. At the end of the day, this sounds like a scam and just an unscrupulous way for the landlord/agency to receive commission for signing tenants up to this energy provider. How on earth they can get away with it is beyond me.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2011 :  12:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you should name and shame the company so we know which utility provider to avoid!!

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2011 :  14:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kallis,

Would love to but not sure of the legalities of it all.

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 06 September 2011 :  22:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no reason why you cannot tell us the name of the company, they will have no idea of this site and even less of who you are. It would just be interesting to know.

Follow through
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page

Crazee67

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 07 September 2011 :  18:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know if this helps but we took up our tenancy in April this year. We found a tarriff we liked and when we phoned to sort it all we were told we had to sign up with the existing provider, once we received our first bill the new provider took over with the new tariff. We bascially just owed the first months energy bill to the old company.

I really cant understand why the LL would insist on a particular company especially in this day and age when it makes good sense to shop around for the best tarrif. While you are there. you are responsible for the bills so why cant you decide for yourself. I dont think he would have any legal grounds to make you go with a particular supplier and anyhow, how would he know if you changed.

Good luck and let us know the outcome of this

Crazee

Mine's a double
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 08 September 2011 :  10:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone and thanks for all your replies.

After the past few days of anxiety and worry I think I may have sorted this problem out. After many emails to the letting agents, I said that I would not be happy signing the tenancy agreement with the energy provider clause in as it stands. After further prompting, they have agreed to cross through this clause and initial it. This will basically ensure that I am not obliged to go with this particular energy provider and I am free to choice my own. As long as the signature of the agreement (which will be the letting agents as they are acting on behalf of the landlord) is the same as the initials in the line through, then this contract is legally binding. Phew!! I know the letting agents probably think I am going to be a moany nuisance tenant, but I really am not, I just didn't want to end up with a contract with a supplier I didn't feel happy with and something as important as that should not be forced on someone. I have already arranged for the existing energy providers to continue with the supply until my preffered supplier can connect us up. I always asked the letting agents to provide me with a letter from themselves and the landlord confirming that they are happy for me to choose my own supplier and they have agreed to do this. Well I have still to sign the contract on saturday, so until then, there is no guarantee that the clause has been deleted, so I will have to wait until then I guess. Hopefully though, it will go okay. I don't think I could go through a week like this one again so soon.

Wish me luck folks!

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 08 September 2011 :  11:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck, I hope everything works out well for you.

Let us know how it goes x

Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 08 September 2011 :  13:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Tracey, I will.
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 08 September 2011 :  16:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's excellent news and must be such a relief!

Hopefully it has been crossed through when you go on Saturday.

Good luck!!

Follow through
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page

Crazee67

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 08 September 2011 :  19:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news - fingers crossed it goes well for you. Glad they saw sense - it was a ridiculous clause n the first place.

Mine's a double
Go to Top of Page

xmas baby
Average Member

537 Posts

Posted - 09 September 2011 :  12:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly. The 'big' energy companies rates are bad enough and due to increase just in time for the winter period (how convenient for them) so the last thing anyone would want is to be contracted to a provider which charges more than 4 x the standard rates. I don't think anyone could afford those kind of charges, unless you were a millionaire. I have just been so cautious with my finances since declaring bankruptcy that I am almost possessed these days and keep an eye on my bank accounts daily. I learnt my lesson the hard way and I never want to be in that position again if I can help it.

Thanks again for all your advice and messages of support.

Move day tomorrow..... yippee!!

xmas baby
Go to Top of Page

glafy
forum expert

436 Posts

Posted - 09 September 2011 :  12:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Luck

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!!

"Good things come to those who wait".....I'm a patient person but this is taking the Mickey!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page