Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 IPA Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

godfer
Starting Member

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2011 :  10:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Some help and advice would be appreciated.

First the background:

I am subject to an IPA. Since its agreement my circumstances have changed markedly. I am now on a reduced contract of employment with a subsequent 20% reduction in my net salary. I have contacted Moon Beever and apprised them of such, requesting a suspension of the IPA - they have in-turn contacted RTLU and I am awaiting a decision. My living expenses were agreed (I have specific dietary and medical requirements) and the IPA subsequently set. The reduction in salary has had a severe impact upon me. I am now some £250/m shy of my agreed living expenses - thus, savings need to be made.

Prior to bankruptcy I lost my home. Thus, I needed a new home at very short notice - I found a sympathetic landlord who agreed to let me a property without a deposit or credit check (didn't have the former, would've failed the latter) with a rent of £650/m. The lease on which is due for renewal at Octobers end. A 'cheaper' rental is the only real opportunity for a saving!

Now the question:

If I were to find a cheaper rental property, would Moon Beever/RTLU likely 'see' the saving as disposable income and claim it through IPA?

I expect that a definitive answer to this cannot be made, I will be contacting Moon Beever/RTLU for such this coming week, I would, however, appreciate your sage, experienced advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Blackie
forum expert

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2011 :  15:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Blackie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Godfer

It is really nothing to do with Moon Beever. The firm just collects the money on behalf of the Official Receiver. Your circumstances have changed and your Income will have to be re-assessed. It may be that you cannot afford to pay an IPA and I would suggest that you do not scrimp and save in order for payments to be made to the OR. If you cannot afford an IPA, so be it!

If your lease or rental decreases, you could possibly have more disposable income and it will be taken into consideration for IPA purposes. You must be truthful with the OR and tell him everything but don't feel that you have to "go without" just to satisfy the OR.

Kind regards

John Blackadder
Bankruptcy365

For help and advice on the easiest and most effective way to a debt free future, please go to www.bankruptcy365.co.uk.
Go to Top of Page

godfer
Starting Member

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 18 September 2011 :  20:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blackie, many thanks...

...I have absolutely no intention of 'scrimping and saving' to satisfy the OR! The circumstances of my BR were 'largely' outwith my control (I guess most would say that(?). I will (as I have been) be entirely forthright and truthful with the OR and expect 'them' to be entirely professional, objective and disapassionate. I do hope I'm not being 'idealistically' naive!?
Go to Top of Page

Niobe
Administrator

United Kingdom
4590 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2011 :  15:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tracey was subject to an IPA and had a drop in salary. The OR did reduce her payments but not by as much as her salary drop.

You might find that this could happen to you. I hope not, but it is a possibility.

Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
'Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Jan
xxx
Go to Top of Page

Essie

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2011 :  15:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why did the OR not reduce her IPA in line with her salary drop? That just seems unfair?

Finally got head out of sand in October 2010
BR March 2011
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2011 :  16:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a couple of years ago when and IPA was worked out on a sliding scale and not all the surplus was taken. Presumably this could apply to any 'old style' IPAs still out there.

Because of the sliding scale I didn't expect the IPA to be reduced by the full amount, but I did think that a reduction of £25 when I lost £80 a month was a bit mean!

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

godfer
Starting Member

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2011 :  20:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put the call into RTLU today. Alas, my assigned 'Case Worker'(?) is on leave. I apprised the Officer of my circumstances and it was to be discussed with a 'Manager' and I should 'expect a call' tomorrow! Time will tell.
Go to Top of Page

Skippy
forum expert

United Kingdom
3290 Posts

Posted - 19 September 2011 :  22:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck, I hope you get some news tomorrow.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Last IPA payment made on 28th June 2010 and I'm now looking forward to getting married in September 2012 - I'm proof that you can go BR and come out the other side.
Go to Top of Page

glafy
forum expert

436 Posts

Posted - 20 September 2011 :  08:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope that you hear something "today" godfer, more waiting is the last thing you need.
Good Luck & keep us posted.

"Good things come to those who wait".....I'm a patient person but this is taking the Mickey!!
Go to Top of Page

godfer
Starting Member

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 20 September 2011 :  17:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just spoken to RTLU and 'unofficially' it was articulated that if I were to find a cheaper rental property, and thus increase my disposable income, they (RTLU) would 'claim' it via IPA, even though my existing IPA payment as set is to be suspended as it would present undue hardship.

Indeed, even after saving on my rent, I would still be significantly below the agreed 'monies' needed to maintain my lifestyle, yet, RTLU tell me that they would claim it. Go figure!?
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 20 September 2011 :  17:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rubbish, i would get an official answer, they dont claim any specific increase they collect the overall surplus dependant on your circumstances at any one time, when you inform them they of all the changes they should do a full reconsideration of all your income and expenses at this time
Go to Top of Page

Essie

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 20 September 2011 :  23:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's easy for them to say find somewhere cheaper!

Do they not know how hard it is to find a suitable rental property let alone one which is cheaper AND will accept a BR / discharged BR person?

I know i'll get criticised for saying this, but why should you go out looking for something even cheaper just so they can take more money?

BR March 2011
Go to Top of Page

debtinfo
forum expert

2826 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2011 :  05:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please read the op essie they are not asking godfer to move to a cheaper one, godfer is looking to move to reduce own outgoings
Go to Top of Page

godfer
Starting Member

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2011 :  09:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
debtinfo is correct. I had proposed such and RTLU informed me of their stance! It is confusing and frustrating to say the least.
Go to Top of Page

Essie

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2011 :  14:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, I misread it, I thought they were suggeting Godfer moved to an even cheaper property than she already had (or was about to) move to. Sorry.

BR March 2011
Go to Top of Page

godfer
Starting Member

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 21 September 2011 :  20:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Essie...I'm all man!!!! My posts must have a feminine tinge! ;-)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page