Other:
•About BankruptcyHelp
•Links
•Contact us
•Debt Glossary
•Insolvency jobs

FORUM
  > Browse and post on our forum
Home   |   Profile   |   Register   |   Active Topics   |   Members   |   Search   |   FAQ

Welcome to our Forum, please register if you want to post
Ask a debt question
See the last 250 posts
Watch video on how to use forum
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 New Questions
 Forum Questions
 Can I Have A Student Visa And Go Bankrupt?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vishal
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 27 September 2011 :  11:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Background: - I am on international student visa and studying in the Uk. I am living in the Uk almost 5 years , First 4 years I was on work permit visa. I have £25,000 of unsecured debt at the moment, £20,000 of that was lost on gambling last 1 year. All the loans, credit cards etc, I got during my work permit visa, and gambling lost also happened during my work permit visa. Recently I got the international student visa. My father sponsored me for study, he will pay my all living expenses and study fees.
There is no money used from my unsecured debt, no cash is taken from my account for study fees, student visa etc. Almost 85% debt used for gambling. Its just happened that I lost my control while playing online gambling. All the transaction detail lost in gambling available on my bank account.and gambling receipt.
Now I I want to file bankruptcy as soon as possible. i am unemployed, no assest/ property and singLe. status is full time international student.
1-My question is that is it right option for me to apply bankruptcy while on international student visa? My father is going to sponsor me for study and living expenses in uk, Will official recover take the money from my father account, the money which is using for my study?
2-Is it legal that somebody sponsor you for your study while you are going to file bankruptcy? Or is ok that someone gives you money for your study and living expenses while you are bankrupt or going to bankrupt?
3- Is it criminal offence/ criminal bankruptcy that I am going bankrupt on international student visa?
Please reply me !!!!
Regards

Melanie.n
forum expert

United Kingdom
1282 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2011 :  16:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there

I am sorry but i am unable to answer your questions with regard to the student visa status and bankruptcy (the delay in response to you is probably due to the fact that neither of my fellow experts can answer that exact question either)

The only advice I can give you, is for you to speak to the office which provided the visa itself and ask them direct, as only they can probably advise in this area, as it will be at their discretion whether the bankruptcy may affect your visa. The same advice is given to individuals enquiring about applications for visa's to other countries, when considering emigrating - always speak to the issueing office direct, that way you can minimise any confusion with conflicting advice.

I am not sure that you are aware, but as the majority of your debt is due to gambling I must warn you that if and when you file for bankrupcty, be prepared to have an 'BRO - Bankruptcy Restriction Order' made against you, which in effect will extend the period of the bankruptcy from anything between 2 and 15 years, as the Official Receivers Office always come down quite heavily upon an individual with debts incurred through gambling

Hope this goes in some way towards helping your query, though I appreciate it does not provide the answers you are looking for

Melanie Nicholas CertDR
30 years insolvency experience - 23 of which in the Insolvency Service
- Insolvency Manager
Jones Giles
Go to Top of Page

vishal
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2011 :  05:14:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you vey much. This forum is very helpful and informative. I made query to home office about my student visa. Can you please answer me the following questions. I have some confusion about it.

!- What is the exactly criteria to become bankrupt in UK? I am living uk Last 5 years on work permit/student visa , so majority of my interest is in the Uk, I worked/study/ banking and paying the tax etc.

I am unable to pay my debt due to gambling addiction/debt. Now I completely overcome this addiction and taking treatment of GP and Gambling care forums. I completely stop to play gambling last 6 month.

I need to file bankruptcy as soon as possible , the other solutions like iva etc is not suitable for me as I search on your forum. .I have no asset/property and unemployed.
As non uk citizen, am I eligible to file bankruptcy or I need domicile/Permanent resident status? I am not responding/payment to my creditors almost last 6 month.

If i not file the bankruptcy, after how long creditor make the bankruptcy against me. because i m not responding them.

Please reply..Regards
Go to Top of Page

Viki.W
forum expert

United Kingdom
2211 Posts

Posted - 30 September 2011 :  07:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi vishal,

Yes, you can declare bankruptcy here.

It's good that you are getting help for the gambling.

Good luck.

Viki Warbrooke
Vincent Bond & Co
If you would like free advice on all options available and help with your bankruptcy petition please contact me at http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp
Please read my experience of debt via my blog at http://vikiw.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
bankruptcyhelp.org.uk Forum © bankruptcyhelp Go To Top Of Page